• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT400 w/ 1/6 divisor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
umm... then manufactures could program it into their bioses, some did w/ the KT 400 and it wouldn't post. If it's a chipset limitation, it must be hardware, unless they are just misleading us to sell KT 400A boards.

I own an XP333 as well. It's certainly a tweaker's board, as its performance with an older BIOS and without tweaking is not exceptional. But I like the board despite mine's lack of multiplier control.

I downloaded the KT400 Dragon Ultra's BIOS from Soyo's website to see what I could see about PCI dividers. Want to know what I found?

In the BIOS's section for the dividers, it has values ranging from /3 to /6. However, the /6 is not selectable by default.

I don't know what to think about this. If someone around here had the KT400 Dragon Ultra I could mod the BIOS and get them to test it, or tell them how to do it themselves. If the board does indeed have a working 1/6 divider, it would be a really cool find for the whole overclocking community.

Edit: Just downloaded the BIOS for the KT333 Dragon Plus and the same options are there, just non-selectable. WTF?

There is a bug with the KT400 NB that will not allow the 1/6 divisor to run properly. You need an extremely clean signal for this to work & some motherboard manufacturers tried to enalble this & have failed in doing so, reason for the first BIOS update removing this option. VIA also never claimed the KT400 of having a 1/6 divisor, all their roadmaps showed support for DDR333 only & Asynchronous running of DDR400. This is a lost cause.

KT400A has no working 1/6 divisor either AFAIK.

Sonny, that's some pretty interesting information. The KT333's BIOS also had the 1/6 there. :eek: If I had lots of money to throw around, I would give it a try, but... I don't.

Does anyone have a datasheet of the KT400 NB that shows pin mappings and such? Also, an older version of my board's bios had a 1/6 option, how can I re-enable that (of course, no board would post with it enabled, but I'd like to see it just for kicks (and in case I try to feed a different pci signal to the NB). Can you recomend a good book on assembler?

Gnufsh, just for kicks I downloaded the latest version of your board's BIOS. I found that the 1/6 divider is in there, but it's not a selectable option.

For some reason I can't get modbin to save it when I enable the option. I think I must need to get a newer version of modbin.

Anyway, the option is still present. Don't know how adventurous you feel, but you could try enabling it.

Back