• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low sound for DVDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

I just got my new Z-560s, so I'm lookin out for any possible problems. This is prolly not a problem with the speakers but with the software, but when i play WinDVD or PowerDVD for any DVD, the sound is at least 40-50% softer then when I play it in WinAmp. Is this a normal problem?

check your sound properties. cd audio is probably turned down.

even though its a dvd i think its cd audio that changes the volume on it.

I'm still trying to decide whether not it's the sound itself or somethin else...

I know for a fact that it's not only Winamp. lately I've been playing Medal of Honor AA, and the sound voluem is about as much as Winamp chucks out...

Maybe WInDVD or PowerDVD just don't give out that much...

mavala: I've checked the CD Audio...nopeers, not that :(

I'm also wondering, in a 4.1 speaker setup, is the voices (usually they come from a enter channel in a surround sound setup), do the voices in DVD come alot softer? I have a bit of trouble hearing the main voices, and if I turn up my volume, then the other sounds get a bit TOO loud. Is this a problem with my config? Is there a way to change this?

DVD audio is recorded at a lower level than CD audio, so it will sound lower at the same output levels.

If you have a 4.1 setup and are playing a 5.1 DVD, the sound must be down-mixed to 4.1, otherwise the center channel track will be lost and you will not be able to hear the voices properly. Try playing around with the settings in your dvd software to make sure that it's setup for a 4 channel audio system.

Frodo Baggins said:
I'm also wondering, in a 4.1 speaker setup, is the voices (usually they come from a enter channel in a surround sound setup), do the voices in DVD come alot softer? I have a bit of trouble hearing the main voices, and if I turn up my volume, then the other sounds get a bit TOO loud. Is this a problem with my config? Is there a way to change this?

Thats how DVDs are, especially when you are using dolby digital 4/5.1. DVDs have a larger dynamic range (louder louds and quieter quiets) then VHS, TV or even CDs. It's supposed to mimic how it sounds in a theater, if you turn it up loud enough so that you can clearly hear the voices then when somebody shoots or something blows up its almost deafening. Try to compare the loud parts of the DVD to winamp or games - they should be roughly on par.

If your DVD software thinks that you have a 5.1 setup and you only have 4.1 then you do not hear the majority of the voices since 99% of voices only come through the center channel. If you can hear them alright (even if you have to turn it up a bit) then its set up correctly.

One of your volumes could be set a little low too, there are just too many of them...one for the DVD software, one for windows/sound card drivers (which is, of course, split into like 10 sections) and one for the speakers. but it sounds like you have it set up alright.

If you are running windows xp (maybe it works in 9x too?) then you can play DVDs in windows media player once you have an mpeg2 codec installed (comes with your DVD software) - you can try playing a DVD in that to compare it, if its louder then you should turn up the volume in your DVD software.

AND
it also has to do with your soundcard, I also have z560s and because I'm usin a gei aopen soundcard the dvds are softer, when I put my buddys live card in, the sound was booming loud!@

Back