• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing the cpu multiplier in bios with A7A?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdf24

I have updated to bios v. 1005. set dip switch #10 to on. And still cannot change the cpu multiplier in the bios. Only via dip switches. Am I missing something?
How is everyone else doing it?

hmm... well I have a 4 dipswitch version of the A7A and I had to solder dip 10 but whenever i'd boot up it would stay at a black screen.. I was confused at this untill I turned one of the FSB switches on but left it to jumper free mode and it's worked eversince! although I need better cooling and im still annoyed that my duron 700 wont hit a multiplier of 7.0x at a 133Mhz+ Bus but it does just fine 9x100 >_< but I want my 133Mhz Bus DAMNIT! ohwell.. thats for another thread ^_^

I have the 1005 bios and the #10 on...and in jumperless mode
and I can't set the multiplier in the BIOS either..I can change everything else, just not the Multiplier...

I have been contemplating soldering #10 (as I have the A7A with only 4 dips), but if this isn't allowing the multiplier to be changed why do it?

thing is...for some people, it WILL let them change through the BIOS....so you may/may not get any results by soldering..

Maybe when I get some time I'll just start moving the various jumpers around and get lucky. Ya never know.

I have the old 4 position dipswitch . I just connected the no .10with a piece of copper wire & a piece of scotch tape. works fine , i have all my multiplier&fsb adjustments in bios. I have bios version1004. If you have the 10 position switch you only have to have no10 on

was working on my buddy new computer today (A7A of course)
and i also havent been able to change the multiplier in the BIOS, dip switches work fine...
got 10 on as well....
i tried everything i can thing of, and just testing random things with no luck...
nothing, thought i didnt connect the L1 bridges properly then tried the dip switches and it worked so....
BIOS version 1004.
Its a 1.1 AXHA (1333 @ 1.7V) cooled with a FOP-38 (FOP 32 with 6800 RPM fan)

so it seem like all of us are stuck with dip switches till a new BIOS is released.
Also using dip switches i wasnt able to rasie the Vcore. tried playing with the VID jumper and wouldnt let me no matter what i did.

So if anyone get the board working with bios only setting please post it.
Also, if i get things going, i'll post what i have done

I've got the # 10 dip switch on. And I've tried various settings and still can't change the mulitiplier in the bios. As well as the Vcore. Which sucks. Cause if I can get the vcore to change I could most likely get over 1.5 ghz. Right now won't go more then 1.43 or so stable. No matter what I set the Vcore to it stay's at 1.8 or so. Whats up with that?

I posted answer above that works for me have you set cpu speed to manual in bios, hope i'm not offending anyone ,I'm just trying to help this my only suggestion I can come up with,accept switches 1-4 must be off

ocwanabee (Jul 24, 2001 05:36 p.m.):
I posted answer above that works for me have you set cpu speed to manual in bios, hope i'm not offending anyone ,I'm just trying to help this my only suggestion I can come up with,accept switches 1-4 must be off

Yes, I have the cpu speed set to manual. # 10 dip is on. Every other one is off. And I still am unable to change the multiplier in the bios. It seems to me the people with the older version are having better luck with this after the mod where the # 10 dip would be.

I appreciate your help though. Thanks.

I was lucky enough to get an A7A with all 10 dips (it's either 10 or 4 right, no other dips on the board that can affect this?)
anyway, I set 10 on, and the multiplier is now 11x, but will not allow me to change it in the BIOS, or with dip changes :( ,as I saw above others have the same problem. If ANYONE can plz help us out on this It would be greatly 'preciated!!!
1.4@1605/1.75v/145/36
Obviously I can go mucho higher with a lil help from the Gods of OC Forums
(hey, you guys have answered every other question I've asked :)

i have the 4 dip switch board and i soldierd a wire cross #10 and upped to bios 1005 you need 1005 for bios changing... and it works fine for me...

can u plz tell me which file name is 1005 on the ftp site, as it keeps locking up only when I www to the site, but not ftp
Thx again!

m9n10057.zip MES-N BIOS 1005 beta 7
m9n10061.zip MES-N BIOS 1005 beta 6
are the only "files" w/ 1005 in the index list
Thx!

ftp.asuscom.de
browse through all their directories till you get to the BIOS page..it'll say 1005.005

I updated the bios, everything went fine, but
I still am unable to change the multiplier. It's still "greyed out"
I feel like I'm overlooking the obvious, but have followed instructions exactly.
The only thing that changes is when I turn dip10 on the multi changes from 10.5 to 11, which has made a definate difference, but obviously I could go much higher :)
The other thing is that when I set the dips to a higher multi it does not reflect that in the Bios, I am in jumperfree mode though :)

THX again!

You should still be able to change the multiplier with the dip switches if the # 10 dip is on. I still cannot change it in the bios either. Only with the dip switches. Oh, well I can live with that. I'm running the 1005 beta bios as well. Thats weird how some people are able to change the mulitiplier in the bios and others are not. Wonder why?

Heres what you do:

Turn Jumperfree mode OFF
Set DIP 10 to ON
Set your multiplyer using DIPs
Set DIP 1-4 to the correct default manual FSB
Set DIP 5 to OFF is using DDR SDRAM, to ON if using SDRAM

Boot with that and make sure it POSTS and has the correct Multiplyer.

If it does shutdown and change the jumper that is set to jumpermode to JUMPERFREE mode. That is all you change.

Now boot up enter the BIOS, now the Multiplyer you used on the DIP switches will be the one the BIOS has and is greyed out, but now you can change the FSB and Vcore. :)

Back