• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

333 Mhz FSB Dual Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kirk Hammett

Registered
I am looking for a dual motherboard that supports two Athlon processors with FSB's at 333 Mhz...is there one in existence?
And if not, is it possible to put two processors with that FSB in a motherboard only supporting 266 mhz?

no AMD Duallie will support 333 fsb.

2nd question: I think you will have to mod the CPU's to run at 266 before they will be recognized, but I could be wrong.

By the way, these are going to be modded XP Processors, so would it just be better than to go with the K7D Master and then dual XP 266 FSB Processors?

Oh one other thing...are there any problems with Creative cards with SB Live 5.1! and dual processor systems...I have heard there are is this true?

333 MHz bus CPU's should run just fine w/o modification at 266 MHz, albeit underclocked.

The problems are with any Soundblaster and any SMP machine, generally. If you do a search, they are pretty well documented.

SickBoy said:
333 MHz bus CPU's should run just fine w/o modification at 266 MHz, albeit underclocked.

So if you drop in a 2600 /333 chip into MPX board, it will just default to 12.5x133 = 1662 mhz??

(2600/333 FSB default is 166x12.5)

::::EDIT:::

Or will it do this:

A 2600/266FSB chip default is 133x16 = 2130mhz
So will a 2600/333 chip dropped into a MPX board default to 16x133?? I'd like to see this....

poopygood said:

So if you drop in a 2600 /333 chip into MPX board, it will just default to 12.5x133 = 1662 mhz??

(2600/333 FSB default is 166x12.5)

::::EDIT:::

Or will it do this:

A 2600/266FSB chip default is 133x16 = 2130mhz
So will a 2600/333 chip dropped into a MPX board default to 16x133?? I'd like to see this....

It will run 12.5x133, unless you modify it for a higher multiplier.

Dual_XP_Jedi said:
Why the K7D master over the Iwill then? As i understand it the Iwill is a better overclocking board?

That is a matter of opinion. Many people, myself included, have had great success with the MSI K7D Master (the only dual with multiplier control.) Many others, insist that the Iwill is a better overclocking board, because it offers higher FSB, though it lacks multiplier support.

Kirk Hammett said:
Oh one other thing...are there any problems with Creative cards with SB Live 5.1! and dual processor systems...I have heard there are is this true?

There have been quite a few problems, in the past, mostly attributed to badly written drivers by Creative. I have used both SBLive's and Audigy's in MSI K7D Master duals without any problems, however, using newer drivers (distributed by Compaq.)

Multiplier support only up to 12.5x is a waste of time as pretty much all of the newer CPU's have higher multipliers than 12.5. Those that don't, need an fsb higher than the MSI's 150 limit to make them worthwhile. I have an Iwill here running 2x XP2400's at 166 x 12. I remapped the default multiplier to 12 and upped the fsb to 166. Runs fine at default vcore (as it should). A friend of mine is running his Iwill at 175fsb with no problems:

2x175fsb.jpg

My Workstation is currently running 2x 166fsb Barton XP2500's at 155x 14. I remapped the default 11x multiplier to allow use at a lower fsb.

To me, the only reason to buy the MSI is because it is one of the cheapest dual AMD boards. The Iwill has everything needed for the overclocker - vcore (both cpu's), fsb adjustment up to 200+fsb, vio adjustment and mem timing adjustment (vdimm via a modded BIOS). It is in a different league to the MSI.

As usual though, your mileage may vary.

Just to clarify, the MSI has Vcore control over both CPU's also. It also has thorough memory tweaks and multiplier control and has a very good reputation among a large fan base.

It is not the cheapest dual AMD motherboard. When I bought my first one, it was $212, when the Iwill MPX2 was $215.

Last edited:
OK, I should have said that here in the UK, the MSI is the cheapest :rolleyes:.

Chaintech 7KDD Dual SoA Motherboard £164.21
Epox M762A Dual Socket-A Mobo £215.02
Gigabyte 7DPXDW+ Dual AMD SoA with Raid 10/100 Lan £186.82
MSI K7D Master Dual AMD Athlon Mobo DDR £160.98
Tyan S2462NG Dual Athlon Mobo (w/o SCSI) £346.62
Tyan S2462UNG Dual Athlon Mobo with Adaptec U3 SCSI £376.88
Tyan Tiger MP Dual Athlon £Call
Tyan Tiger MP-X Dual S2440N-4M Athlon with 10/100 Lan USB2 (2466N)-4 £186.53
Iwill MPX2 Dual AMD SoA £182.12

All prices come from www.scan.co.uk except the Iwill that is only available from www.amplicon.co.uk

cmcquistion said:
Just to clarify, the MSI has Vcore control over both CPU's also. It also has thorough memory tweaks and multiplier control and has a very good reputation among a large fan base.

It is not the cheapest dual AMD motherboard. When I bought my first one, it was $212, when the Iwill MPX2 was $215.

It would be unfair of me not to mention that the Iwill MPX2, also has a loyal fan base, just not in this particular forum. There are many happy Iwill users at 2CPU's forum.

Back