• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cmorgan

RAM: Corsair CMX512-3200LLPT 512MB DDR400 XMS3200 64Mx64 184 DIMM Low Latency SPD Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader Retail from googlegear.com

Motherboard: Epox 8rda+

Today I put my computer components together and tried to boot up. The system didn't even post, instead it just sat for a few seconds and then an alarm from the pc speaker went off. I tried taking everything off the motherboard but the video card, processor, hsf, and ram and got the same thing. Checked all my connections and got the same thing again. I switched out the ram with a friends stick of 512meg ddr2100 ram and the system booted fine. After that, I took out his stick of ram and put mine back it. The system booted fine with my XMS3200 stick but the screen showed that the ram was running at 133mhz presumably from the saved settings from running my friends ram. I tried to load the default values to bring it to 200mhz and the system wouldn't post and just rang the alarm.

The motherboard is an Epox 8rda+ and one stick of xms3200 ram.

Am I doing something wrong or did I get a bad stick? Thanks for any help!

Well 133 to 200 is quite a leap. You might want to try going up a little at a time and see how it does. I have some XMS 3500 that will run just fine at 194 but if I try for 200 it is a no go. I believe my problem lies with the mobo undervolting so much as my vddq which is the voltage between the ram and the northbridge is at 1.47 when the stock speed is suppose to be at 1.55. Unfortunately there are no settings in the bios for this but I have read a person could do some kind of resistor mod. I just dont know if it is worth it. BTW I am running an Abit BD7II.

I have a feeling it prolly is your ram that is wimping out. I have read alot of posts about memory that is rated @ 200 not quite making it. Also I hear crucial has the best support around. You may try giving them a call.

Yah my board is going as fast as it can without any mods which is 2.7 volts. I may try and relax some of my timings and see if I can get it to 200 but for a few mhz I wonder if it is really worth it although I would like to see Sandra mem benchmarks over 3k and I am at 2976 now.

Back