• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4T533 Best Overclock...???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axeman098

Registered
we've been in another thread discussion the limitations of the "C" variant of the P4T533. As you may know, the C only allows fsb changes up to 150(x4) while the non C board goes to 200fsb. Has anyone been able run at 200fsb??? with a proc that has a 20x multiplier that would equal 4Ghz. Is it possible? And if so, what were the vcore and temps???? Could a 3.06HT P4 be pushed this far succesfully???? I can't imagine this would help the lifespan of the chip anytime soon, but still, has anyone gotten even CLOSE to this? Just curious...

The highest I've got it to run 3D Mark @ stable speeds was 155FSB...that was with water-cooling. I think I remember someone getting to ~170FSB. When the board first came out (P4T533) it had issues with P4s with C1 stepping. I guess the voltage regulators on the board could not handle the extra power required for those chips and it caused the Vcore voltage to flux about ~.5V and that caused the instability. That is what I read quite sometime ago... I also heard they had a new revision of this motherboard coming out. So I called Asus to confirm the problems with the board and to find out if they had a new revision of the board...but the guy didn't know anything about the problems or a new revision. I read about lots of people having problems running at stock speeds...I had problems at first running stock but it runs fine now. I'm not sure if I will buy another one or just get another board.

20x 170fsb would be 3.4Ghz....I could live with that too! Yeah, I have the "C" version and I can run the 3Ghz, just wish I could AFFORD the 3Ghz (laugh) I can take my 2.4 to 2.7@150fsb, but thats about it. Can't complain really I suppose.

the p4t533-c with a turbo pll mod would overclock great

the p4t533 isnt such a great board, rimm4200 doenst overclock well

zoom8112 said:
the p4t533-c with a turbo pll mod would overclock great

the p4t533 isnt such a great board, rimm4200 doenst overclock well

Actually both boards and ram types clock up to about the same levels- 150-160 4x with the right ram. I haven't seen P4T533-C modded with an aftermarket PLL controller doing much better.

FIZZ3 said:

Actually both boards and ram types clock up to about the same levels- 150-160 4x with the right ram. I haven't seen P4T533-C modded with an aftermarket PLL controller doing much better.
Macci over at http://www.xtremesystems.org/ has a P4T533-c with a turbo pll. I think he is running around 175 fsb with the RAM @ x4.

yeah, xtremesystems.org has some insane rambus scores

turbo-pll mods are the bomb, i've been trying to read up on them

Well somehow I am not convinced, not because I don't believe what you said though. I remember JCViggen pulling such numbers on his P4T533 too for example (think he modded that board too by the way hehe). Couldn't find a link quickly just now though.

Maybe the better discussion is about how realistic it is to tell someone to get a PLL mod. After all, it's not like you can order these at your local reseller, nor can one install them like a PCI card. I'd focus more on the stock capabilities of the boards in question, with maybe extra cooling (NB for example) as possible and realistic 'mods'. Isn't that a more reasonable proposition?

Well, thats a good point, I'm not interested in getting THAT extreme...I'm happy with stock. All I really need now is the money to snag a 3.0Ghz proc. So far I have been extremely happy with the board's performance and the whole system in general. You have to remember, I went from an overclocked Celeron 733 P3 on a Tyan Tiger 100 to this new system running at [email protected]. And I'm stunned at the power of the thing. I don't HAVE to squeeze every ounce out of it now, because I don't NEED every ounce to do what I want to do. I am sure that after I've had it a while, I'll upgrade the proc to 3Ghz, but not really because I need to, but because I want it, ya know? If you look at the system in my signature, this is a DREAM rig for me. I've been scrimping and saving for a while to build it, and it's a delight to use! I got the GF3 128mb card because it was a MAJOR step up from the GF2 MX 32mb card I was using for under $100.00 And while it's not a GF4, it's the best of the best for the GF3 Series. Let me tell you, Splinter Cell on this system is nothing short of JAW DROPPING, and when you S-video it out to a 32" Flat Panel TV it's BREATHTAKING! Lemme tell you...I am pleased as punch! Especially when you consider I built the whole thing for under $750.00!!! Only a moron spends $3,200 on an Alienware Rig. I got the same thing right here and it's just as out of this world!

Axeman098 said:
Well, thats a good point, I'm not interested in getting THAT extreme...I'm happy with stock. All I really need now is the money to snag a 3.0Ghz proc. So far I have been extremely happy with the board's performance and the whole system in general. You have to remember, I went from an overclocked Celeron 733 P3 on a Tyan Tiger 100 to this new system running at [email protected]. And I'm stunned at the power of the thing. I don't HAVE to squeeze every ounce out of it now, because I don't NEED every ounce to do what I want to do. I am sure that after I've had it a while, I'll upgrade the proc to 3Ghz, but not really because I need to, but because I want it, ya know? If you look at the system in my signature, this is a DREAM rig for me. I've been scrimping and saving for a while to build it, and it's a delight to use! I got the GF3 128mb card because it was a MAJOR step up from the GF2 MX 32mb card I was using for under $100.00 And while it's not a GF4, it's the best of the best for the GF3 Series. Let me tell you, Splinter Cell on this system is nothing short of JAW DROPPING, and when you S-video it out to a 32" Flat Panel TV it's BREATHTAKING! Lemme tell you...I am pleased as punch! Especially when you consider I built the whole thing for under $750.00!!! Only a moron spends $3,200 on an Alienware Rig. I got the same thing right here and it's just as out of this world!

Good for you! Your current PC is pretty powerful by objective standards as well though. :)

its only 'sandra mem' stable at 190 4x and requires some fresh air and Vmem of 3.3V to do it

I thought i might add that on my board (P4T533-C revision that support HT) I've gotten a 2.0A(100fsb) to run 24/7 @ 133FSB
pushing the CPU to 2.667Ghz.

Could someone explain what turbo mode does?
The setting isn't even mentioned in the BIOS manual

Rudski said:
I thought i might add that on my board (P4T533-C revision that support HT) I've gotten a 2.0A(100fsb) to run 24/7 @ 133FSB
pushing the CPU to 2.667Ghz.

Could someone explain what turbo mode does?
The setting isn't even mentioned in the BIOS manual

It's a bit of a mystery. Supposedly it reduces latencies somewhere and it's also known to cause stability problems when overclocking (in line with what you'd expect from a stricter timing schema). However, some guys reported seeing no difference in Sandra bandwidth numbers or even a slight decrease when using Turbo mode.

For the time being I got mine on Enabled though.

Got mine to 158 4x turbo... unmodded:

158_4t_ram-reduced.jpg

I do think that much higher on a P4T533 requires mods and/or extreme cooling, but that would go for the -C version as well (+ the PLL).

Canterwood and Springdale just opened up 200Mhz FSB for dual DDR systems... I wonder how much these boards have left. The memory may be the biggest bottleneck there though.

I'm fairly new to the whole overclock idea. I Have a slightly overclocked 2.4b currently running at 2.520 Ghz (18X140). (Bus is 560Mhz)

I noticed I get the best memory performance at this speed. I get 3880 Mb/s using sandra with one stick of 512Mb Samsung CT9 1066 RDRAM.

If I push up my frequency to say 145 my memory speed drops to around 3300 Mb/s. I have the multiplier for the memory set to Auto. What are you guys doing to get better memory speeds with a higher frequency. Should I set the multiplier to 3x or 4x ?

Also my 3DMark2003 score was 4867. This is using a Radeon 9700 pro slightly overclocked to 340/320.

Thanks for yout input
Z

Back