• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Filter Material?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FACTION95Si

Where can I pick up some fan filter material? I would like to get some of that thin filter material that comes with the lian li cases. My new YY Cube case doesn't come with anything.

I use heating and cooling filter material. (Used on heat registers to filter air) I get mine at Home Depot.

Yeah pantyhose stuff is good. Another less embarresing thing to buy is speaker mesh - the stuff you put on the front of speakers. You can get it at audio shops.

I bought mine at Ace Hardware. The nice thing about the ones I bought is that it cost about $7 and I got a ton of it, so I just cut a bunch of 80mm size pieces and a bunch of 120mm size pieces so I rotate them out as they get dirty and eventually clean them all later.

I have also heard that dryer sheets work well but I would probably only use one that has been through a dryer cycle so that it doesn't impede airflow too much.

Air conditioner filters work great. If you use panty hose, make sure they are really stretched out, otherwise they can constrict airflow. Of course, dryer sheets will leave your case springtime fresh. LOL.

Filter Material

I use kitchen extract filter (hob extracts), works no problem, comes in a large sheet and is cheap, cut it to size.
Do not need the carbon one, standard will do, unless your PC stinks :)

I use a K&N Air Filter to filter my intake fans.

Works like a champ and can be cleaned easily.

Plus, I get a million mile warranty! ;)

I'd go with the airconditioner filter myself. They're designed for filtering a similar volume of airflow for a similar purpose (don't clog a tight group of fins).

Ugmore Baggage said:
I'd go with the airconditioner filter myself. They're designed for filtering a similar volume of airflow for a similar purpose (don't clog a tight group of fins).

And if he can find one of the standard 24x24 filters, he can cut the material to fit.

I have done that in the past with great success, even to the point of re-sizing the frame so it fits behind the front panel of the case without blocking any devices...

bounce dryer sheets!

they filter AND make your case smell like a meadow after a fresh spring rain!

I use a panty hose streched over a custom made 2 piece frame. I made a frame to strech the hose over and a second piece the same shape to clamp the hose in with bolts. the excess bolt that sticks out of the back side is what goes into the holes that are on the face of my fan.

I tried an air conditioner filter and a HEPA filter with a wire mesh backing and I found that not only were those filter materials flimsy and were pulled into my fan (550cfm) they also increased the noise from the fan. The panty hose can be pulled tight enough over my frame that it does not get sucked in by the fan.

Because I have a dog and some cats I get alot of hair in my filter and the thing I have noticed about foam filters is that animal hair can penitrate into the foam and is hard to get out. I have seen a 4" thick open cell foam block have a hair from my dog embedded 3" into it. The foam most filters are made from is a lot more pourous than the foam I used and could be more of a problem when removing hair.

The nylon I use is not an ideal solution because it still lets in some fine dust, but in the long run it is good for me because I only have to clean out the inside of my comp every 3 or 4 months.
I do however have to clean my nylon filter daily to keep it unobstructed.

Back