• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case modding/cooling, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Windmills

Registered
I'm completely stumped when it comes to case cooling. Trying to figure out what cases to get and what fans to utilize (and whether the case will need modding) is just driving me *(@&@*#^*@^*^*!^! I need some advice on what to do.

I've done a lot of reading on case cooling and yet I still feel that I'm missing something (and I get the feeling sometimes that I'm just going to have to go through a lot of trial-and-error if I want results). I have also read the Definitive Guide to Cooling here at http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=70679

The "main 3" case options that I have are: the Kingwin KT-436 All-Aluminum premoded case (it comes with "Super-flower" fans), a Lian-Li PC-60 (with the same specs found here -> http://www.overclockers.com/tips1064/index03.asp) , or an ANTEC Performance PLUS 1080 AMG (with Antec Original TRUE 430W P4 Power Supply ATX12V) and mod it somewhat and so that it has a fan on the top.

My first question would be - What are some of your feelings on these cases when it comes to cooling? As for mine, considering the Antec 1080 is all steel (I think) - to me it just doesn't seem like it would make a good cooling system. I feel good about the Kingwin case, though expensive - mixed reviews can be found on it (although they are mixed because of a couple of small things) and I put the Lian-Li in the mix because of the article here on Overclocked.com (http://www.overclockers.com/tips1064/) (which means that I thought it would be good to drive myself even more crazy by adding it to the mix), and it seems adequate enough although I haven't done much reading on that case.

Things concerning case fans that I'm not sure on right now -

1. What fans to use
2. What kind of quality the Kingwin fans really are and if I buy the Kingwin , (could I buy better fans?)
3. Whether to mod these cases so that they will be similar to the cases modded on the How to Build a Quiet Computer article (http://www.overclockers.com/tips1064/)
4. If putting a top-case fan is really worth it?
5. Which fan manufacturer is better, and whether to buy 2 of brand X and 3 of brand Z ?
6. If cutting my case to bits would make it better..

I read this post over a couple of times and it might seem like I'm too lazy to figure this out on my own. I do get some of the ideas behind case fans and cooling, and I'm very willing to get the best I can afford - I do feel comforatable with the main parts that I've chosen for my computer, yet, I feel like just giving the computer building a rest and buying a pre-built one from Dell.

Thanks, and good luck to you!

a) how much are you willing to spend?
-under $100 I would personally get an aluminum chieftec. (go to newegg and search for Model#: AX-01SLD U2F 0W) they also sell these w/ power supplies and in all different colors.
-a lot of money - I would get a PC70 or PC71. Easily the best case imho.

b) As far as fans go, it depends on what you want. A quiet case or a super cool temp. case. My case is full of sunons that are like 29db because I want a system that I can have on and still be able to sleep. I pretty much don't hear my computer and at idle the case temp never gets above 25-26C.

c) You don't need a blowhole, just have good airflow. The chieftec I suggested has 2 intakes in the front and 2 in the back + your P/S. That should be plenty.

d) As far as modding, do what you like. If you want a case that is cool (temp wise) then you probably don't need to hack it up. If you want it to look cool, most already come w/ a window or have a window option. But I must admit...playing w/ a dremel is FUN.

Quiet would be nice, but the cooler the better. I'm on a budget, not willing to spend more than $165 on a case. Thanks for clearing things up a bit. :)

Hi,

I use both a Lian Li (model 60xx) and Chieftec (Chenming) Aluminum. The chieftech is a bit taler, but cooler. I never tried the bigger LianLi cases (mod 70xx), but would think that they are cooler too. Space matters for cooling, the bigger case, the better airflow.
From an ease of use perspective, bot are nice, the Lian Li seems more sturdy, the fact that you can take out the motherboard tray is nice. On the other side, the ease of install of 5 1/4" devices and nice fan snap-ins in the chieftec/chenming cases balances the missing mobo tray. Lian Lis come in silver and black, chieftecs come in all kind of colors. The termaltake xaser line is based on chieftec and could be a nice option too.

A.

What do you think about the Coolermaster ATC210? Read that it may be difficult to fit the motherboard in and the top cooling fan could be blocked by IDE cables and other items. The Lian-li 's are nice - it would be nice if there was a comparison chart of the top cases for cooling, but maybe that's going overboard..

I am really not going for looks, I don't think I'm ready for case mods and lighting, etc. The biggest problem I'm having is, deciding on a case that will cool efficiently, isn't made of flimsy material, preferably alluminum, can actually handle a motherboard (see the Coolermaster ATC210), and doesn't have cheap fans (or can be modded easily to accomodate better fans.) I think I will buy the power supply separate.

Anyway, thank you for your replies and help on my case search.

I forgot to add, but the Chieftec AX-01SLD does look good. The newegg.com model number says AX-01SLD but then it says (at the top) Model AX-01BLD Retail Weights Only 18LBs!

The fans holders on that case is the only thing I'm worried about besides the fact that the plastic looks cheap. Would it be possible to mount fans that are not designed for those holders?

The fan clips are made for 80 mm standard size fans, I put sf2 in one of my cases, works great, just snap 'em in thats it. You can also easily take the plastic parts out if you want to fit different size fans. There are many different models/variations of the chieftec, go for aluminum, make sure that you get a new model that has the front usb connectors. For the rest the differences are color and 'deco' ;) Many come with side windows, extra fans ...
Lian Li's are definitely very nice made, but I'm dissapointed with the cooling in my 60xx model. The full tower size ones should be better.
I don't know the coolermaster, but from the pictures on newegg, I miss front fans - or the airholes for it.

A.

Last edited:
Windmills said:
I forgot to add, but the Chieftec AX-01SLD does look good. The newegg.com model number says AX-01SLD but then it says (at the top) Model AX-01BLD Retail Weights Only 18LBs!

The fans holders on that case is the only thing I'm worried about besides the fact that the plastic looks cheap. Would it be possible to mount fans that are not designed for those holders?

If you want, I believe you can find a similar version of that case at Fry's or Microcenter (Microcenter is a maybe). The fan clips seem high quality. Personally I like it because of the size and the amount of fans. When the case first came out and was steel it was like $150+. Luckily the fad of case modding and building comps has caught on and made prices go down.

Back