• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Eheim pump orientation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WinFlex

I'm having major trouble fitting a D-tek customs rad, an Eheim1250, a reservoir, and all that 3/4 inch OD tubing into my coolermaster ATC201 case.
Even external solutions seem hard to come by... I was thinking about suspending the pump upside down from the roof of the case. Does anyone know if orientation of the pump (as in upside down or sideways or pointing up) has any detrimental effects on flowrate, noise, or pump life?

WinFlex said:
I'm having major trouble fitting a D-tek customs rad, an Eheim1250, a reservoir, and all that 3/4 inch OD tubing into my coolermaster ATC201 case.
Even external solutions seem hard to come by... I was thinking about suspending the pump upside down from the roof of the case. Does anyone know if orientation of the pump (as in upside down or sideways or pointing up) has any detrimental effects on flowrate, noise, or pump life?
Orientation makes no matter in regard to flow or life. As to noise, you will just have to see but it should not effect that either...

Nice, man, I can't even write posts quick enough before you respond to them :)
Regarding the pump, one concern are air bubbles: Usually they just go out the top output, but now they might collect inside the pump, causing noise and pump efficiency issues... I'll go home and try it tonight!

Would losing the reservoir help? I've never seen much worth in them and hence never used one. I respect those who choose to use them for whatever reason though.

Hoot

well, submerged pumps kick off too much heat in the water....
I am considering an inline system for they are more energy efficient (the water maintains a vertain momentum) and the pump dumps almost not heat into the water...
Any good inline diagrams around?
Also, hoot, I just read your 5 page thread on designing your pinfin waterblock... very nice... have you ever tried a Pelt on that baby? Check out the one I made: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171243
It is without a pelt for now, but I will add one soon for it is certainly desined for one :)

Heh, one more thing... we have virtually the same system.. custom block, same heater core, same pump, same mobo, etc.. funny how that works

I'm running a 1250 with 1/2 ID tubing, but it's all hanging out the case side. I made a bleed reservoir - a bit of 28mm copper pipe, with 1/2bsp barbs soldered on near the top and bottom of the pipe, so you can prime the pump and fill the system easily. What I found that gets rid of bubbles well is a scouring pad. Roll it up and stick it in where the air can rise to the top of the pad, but the water gets drawn through. If you get those really tiny bubbles making the water look misty, then it filters those out a treat.

WinFlex said:

Hey I am fitting the same stuff (rad and pump) in my ATC201! I'm going to put the pump on the bottom of the case, where the PCI slots of the mainboard are. It will have to be tilted a little, but that should not be a problem.

Are you going to remove the 3.5" bays too? I noticed that the rad could be fitted horizontally as well as vertical, but the latter suits my needs better anyway.

WinFlex said:

-snip-
Also, hoot, I just read your 5 page thread on designing your pinfin waterblock... very nice... have you ever tried a Pelt on that baby?
-snip-

No, I never considered a peltier device on my pin block. If I were designing for a peltier, I would not use a center inlet, but rather an end-to-end flow.

I remember seeing your block desing when you first posted it. I liked the design then and I still do.

I think many systems are similar due to the choice of cases available and the fact that by now, the best-bang-for-buck list of components is widely known.

Hey I am fitting the same stuff (rad and pump) in my ATC201! I'm going to put the pump on the bottom of the case, where the PCI slots of the mainboard are. It will have to be tilted a little, but that should not be a problem.

Man, If you manage to fit that whole setup in your ATC201, I'll be truely impressed. I have been thinking about adding a 6.5 inch high aluminum extension to the top of the case. I could have one manufactured for under 100 dollars and it would provide plenty of room for all the components... I want my case to ba accesible... however, when you get all the stuff situated in the case, post some pictures please!
I will post some solidworks dawings of the ad-on I will build soon :)

Hoot said:
I think many systems are similar due to the choice of cases available and the fact that by now, the best-bang-for-buck list of components is widely known.
i dont know about it, mind a quick link? :D

Well no offense, but most people who run intel aren't that interested in biggest bang for the buck anyways :) ... I admit that intels are the the fastest chips around, but certainly not the cheapest! :p

TeRRaN`uSER said:

i dont know about it, mind a quick link? :D

Unfortunately, there is no single quick link.

Pick a component:

CPU Block
NB Block
GPU Block
Tubing
Radiator or Heater core
Pump
Reservoir
Fans
Shrouds
Etc.

Plug it into the search engine here and select only the Water Cooling forum. Then start reading. You'll see a lot of both intuitive and empirical discussions leading to some concensus.

Results = Research + Capital + Sourcing + Touch Labor = Time & Effort

Hoot

WinFlex said:

Man, If you manage to fit that whole setup in your ATC201, I'll be truely impressed. I have been thinking about adding a 6.5 inch high aluminum extension to the top of the case. I could have one manufactured for under 100 dollars and it would provide plenty of room for all the components... I want my case to ba accesible... however, when you get all the stuff situated in the case, post some pictures please!
I will post some solidworks dawings of the ad-on I will build soon :)

haha yeah it's a very tight fit. I have it all measured up now, and after some delays I will get the last drill bit I need so I can get cracking.

I actually also thought about an external box, even bought some alu plates for it. In the end I decided it would be a pain to make and clumsy to set up. I don't mind loosing some drive bays if I can get this fullblooded h20 system in there. =)

Back