• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lowertems = less stable for me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mekks

i jsut hooked up my water cooling system, the temps are great, but i cant play games or do any hard cpu work or my pc locks up or reboots, evin at stock speeds. i have no idea what i coulda done, im about to take it all apart and put back togher

When you switched over to water did you remove a bunch of fans you were using before? If so, some other component might have needed them and is now getting hot?

peace.
unloaded

um really weird problem
mabye when you disconnected parts of your system...you didnt connect them fully?

hmm im not really sure for the instability..

offtopic(sorry)

did you put a vantec tornado onto your g3? thats kinda....crazy:eek:

Unloaded probably has the answer. It's still important to have some air-flow around the CPU socket. I usually stick an 80mm case fan on the back of my video card to blow air about. Water-cooling removes most forms of air-based cooling of the motherboard, which is actually fairly important. Cooling the motherboard will also help to lower the CPU temperatures further. You don't need a noisy fan, just some moderate air-flow.

Also remember the 5 second rule for electronics. If you can't keep your finger on something for more than 5 seconds before you can't stand it 'cos it's too hot, then that component is "too hot". Your instability is probably heat related to some other component on the board. My guess would be the voltage regulator chip.

ya, there was the tornado thats on my g3, it was on my ax-7, and that ran all the air right buy the northbridge. but the temps where higher in mbm5 before. my cpu voltage is really going wack, it is set at 1.85 but on my MB it always over.05 so im getting 1.90, once i run any cpu working programs the volts drop to 1.75 and ranges from 1.70-1.82, where is my voltage regulatr chip??? can i jsut cool that??.
i broke part of my memory slot off today and im really upset, im about to go buy a Epox i bin hearing good things about them. Please any advice you people might have would really help out. i cant do anything on this pc with out lock ups or reboots

Use your finger and touch the various chips and things around the socket. Use the 5 second rule as I said. You'll find the problem chip pretty quick. The Epox's also suffer from heat related instability. I had to stick heat sinks on the mosfets and voltage regulator and blow a fan over them to get it stable when overclocking with water.

I don't know where the volt-reg chip on the Asus is off the top of my head, but it'll be flat, black, and about 15mm x 7mm in size and very hot to the touch.

could it be the chip that i use to do the vcore mod?, and o ya cathar really nice work on the waterblock, meet and exceded what i thought i was getting! any one looking for a elite waterblock PM cathar best around

have u tried to find a voltage regulater? this is common.

also have you checked to see if ur water block is properly seated or if ur video card is over heating? these all mean a lot.

Did you add anything to your PSU's load? A couple of extra fans maybe? Are any of your PSU lines off-whack?

i added 12v fan, and a blue neon, my volts are all little low. but for some reason my volts at this house are always a little low. always have bin with 3 diff motherboards, and 3 diff psu's.

i beleive asus boards sligly put more vcore on it...so yea when u choose 1.85 u will get 1.9 so if u want 1.85 adjust it to 1.8

thats what happend on my a7v333

for the a7n8x there should be a jumper for voltage regulating. all this does is regulate the voltage spikes

for example 1.9 could spike to ~2.1 w/jumper enabled (enabling allows spikes. disabled supresses them, i think)

Here's a website with Thermal Images of an Epox 8RDA+ m/b. I know you have an Asus, but this will give you an idea of hotspots to check out. The mosfets are also called voltage regulators I think.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bubo/index.html
I still think changing the airflow in your case has created some stagnant areas, and heat is causing your problems.

peace.
unloaded

Back