• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partition HDD help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

currahee

Registered
How would u partition ur 40GB or 80 GB HDD?
Would u use NTFS or FAT32?
whats the pro n cons of using the NTFS/FAT32?
than'ks!

when I had win98 on my machine it had a fat 32 partition on it now I have xp home and its ntfs. it runs good I have had no problems with it. if you are going to run xp its gonna like ntfs better than fat 32. so I'd use ntfs.

you should use ntfs for larger drives, fat32 is more efficient for drives smaller than 4GB but above that it is recommended that you use ntfs for better access times, also you get better security with ntfs

definately ntfs, faster searches, better security and smaller allocation units, i think as small as 512b, much better than fat32's 4k, so you save some space too. can't go wrong with ntfs.

Personally I prefer NTFS. It is reputed as being the more stable and faster of the two file systems (NTFS vs. FAT32). Also, if you have a large HDD like 40 gigs or more, I would recommend partitioning it into around 2 or more 20 gig partitions (depending on HDD size obviously). That way when you do your monthly defrag you can do just one partition (the one you wrote to more, or use more, that particular month) instead of having to do the whole drive at once. Saving you some valueable time. However, the bottom line is that it's up to you.

Back