• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something u all knwo, but i don't

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfamousHindu

How do u guys keep your power cables so neat and tidy, cause when ever i see pics of your computers, i can't see ne, and also, i used those tie thingys but they don't work to well.

I am having a difficult time trying to figure it out myself.
*My 3 window Kingwin case doesn't make it too easy.
*The 4 pin power connector on the Abit Max 2 ver. 2 is not in a good position.
*Wires not in use have no where to go.

One question I have is, should you open the power supply to seperate the wires better, or just try to get them in order as best you can with out opening the supply?

I usually do open the power supply to try to get the "tangled" parts inside. I have a big spool of UV green wire spiral wrap, so I mostly use that for wire management. Glows nicely under black light as well :D

few other options

Electrical tape
Zip Ties
Heat Shrink tubing
Split wire loom
Buy rounded cables.

I've also been known to cut uneeded wires out of the powersupply :p (voids warranty & not recomended for average user)

I've thought about cutting wires myself. My PS has what looks to be an AT mobo connector. They used to come in pairs (P8/P9)-- but this just has one. What a waste of wiring.

I went to the auto parts store and got some yellow wire loom. Matches my IDE cables. 3/8" works, but 1/2" might have been better, especially for the ATX connector.

An alternative to cutting wires from your PSU is to place cable tie mounts, like this
TM-1.jpg

on the top or side of the PSU that is out of sight, and tie the unused wires out of the way.

Well, if I were to clean up my case, the first thing I'd do is connect every cable in the case and separate all the PSU power cables and keep the ATA cables on the floor for now. I would then organize it so only a certain amount of PSU cables would be used and the rest would be hidden in a bay. Plug in those cables and zip tie whatever is necessary to make it neat. Hide the rest in the bays.

I use flat ATA cables since they fold better and I can hide em in tighter places like some ran theirs behind their motherboard.

That's basically my secret.

Daemonfly, I might try opening the power supply. I am trying to work up enough courage, *lol*. I don't like messing with electrical things.
Even the big ATX connector is a bit tangled with the others wires. It's big, heavy, and I think kind of short, so it's stuck hanging in the case. If I open it up, I might be able to get to it better.
I have rounded cables, they made a HUGE difference in airflow and looks.

All I can say is am not going to have a pristine case like some of you guys at OCer's, but I'll do the best I can. *lol*

Maximum PC did a nice write up on covering the PSU cables I'm doing that tonight or tomorrow... I also use flat IDE cables and fold them a and run them under the mobo... I also run my RPM monitoring lines from my fans under the mobo.. I extended the length of the CD audio cables so I can run them under the mobo... I should have all this done here this weekend and I'll have a write up and lots of pics...

It's always been an obsession of mine to have a wire free case...

EmTSea19

If you decide to cut wires, you better know you won't need those wires, and better be carefull of the caps (tall canisters). You will also void the warranty. I don't recomend it unless you know a bit of electronics.

I usually just pop the top cover off & cut the wires off right at the circuit board with miniature wire-cutters. My PSU had that AT-looking connector as well, removed it :) Freed up a bit of the tangle & made it easier to straighted & fit the wires into the grommet.

I also have enough wires from bad PSUs to replace anything I cut out :D or even add to a PSU.

As for ribbon cables, can either get rounded, or do a flat-fold type setup. Just fold the ribbon cable at 90deg angles, making it lay flat against mobo mounting panel(can even run under & behind mobo if long enough) then up & out to drives.

One of my planned mods is to have a 0-visable-wire setup. You will see absolutely NO wires inside the case, anywhere.(yes it;s possible, but my secret for now).

I won't open any PSU until it's out of warrantee. Any sorting can be done within the first inch or two.

First, remove the ties on the ATX supply wires. They only restrict it from bending into a proper position. I use a cable-tie gizmo that I doubt is made anymore to reapply cable ties once the wires are bent into final position.

There are usually only four other lines to worry about from the PSU. The "pentium" power cable usually winds up behind the drives. I run the device wires over to the top of the drive cage and tie them there. From there they follow the edge of the drive mounts until needing to separate to their units.

I don't use the analog CD wire. You can use 45 degree angles to fold flat IDE cables or buy rounded cables, which I find are less flexible and block more air that intelligently laid ribbon cables. The only other cables you should have are for onboard IO headers (usb) and the case connectors which are generally small enough to blend into the bottom of the case.

I also have that at-looking connector...just tucked it away, but what is the atx-looking connector with just 4 pins?

nerdlogic, The square 4 pin(2 on top of 2) power connector, I needed for my Motherboard. Along with the big Power cable too.

Daemonfly, thanks for the tips. I know nothing about electronics. I think I'll leave the PSU alone for now. It's my first computer build and I don't want to go in there and cut until I have a little more experience. At least until I run the machine for a few months.

A wireless case sounds good too, but I don't mind seeing a few wires. I like seeing them through the case windows, and knowing that I put it together. I love the round cables I got, they look great. A completely wireless case would look kind of empty to me.

Thanks, everyone. :)

Back