• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

.......stupid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiji

1st of all why do you have a firewall

have you EVER been attacked directly by a hacker other than trojian?

firewalls r usualy for overprotective or nervous people, save your resources dont need firewall

when i read this (this is from d2 video game forum).... i about rolled over

lol :D

Only some firewalls block trojans.
Overprotective is cascading firewalls, where you have to get through like 2 or 3 firewalls, then a VPN. That's overprotective.

When you read anything on a D2 forum, it gives you a warm feeling inside :p Dont get me wrong, it's a good game, I used to waste my life with it, but most of the people on the forums and in the games are complete idiots.

su root said:
Overprotective is cascading firewalls, where you have to get through like 2 or 3 firewalls, then a VPN. That's overprotective.

So I guess that makes me overprotective? I have Zonealarm on my computer and a built in firewall at my router. I also run Ad Aware weekly, clean my registery weekly, update my virus definitions constantly, scan my computer weekly, and scan every file I download (from an unknown source, such as kazaa) before I run it.

Overprotective? Nah. It doesn't really affect the performance of my system and it takes almost no time to do this stuff. I'd say I'm simply being safe. Thats the difference between us and the people who have computers with so many viruses that a 2Ghz machine is only using 300Mhz on stuff you wanted to run.

oh yea--

any of you guys know a good (Free :p) firewall ? i use the windows firewall and i have a router-- but mahka just wondering so anyway--

oh yea what about virus scanners? i use housecall -- NAV uses too much system resources IMO

well i guess everyone knows where to point there scripts at now

way to make it public knowlege that there idots

Can you ever be "Overprotective"? I would say no.

People can use your computer to hack into other peoples computers and in so doing puts the blame on you.

I use a hardware router, antivirus software and have Windows 2K pro/Server with all the permissions locked down.

Please don't call people idots that are not around to defend themselves.

fiji said:
oh yea--

any of you guys know a good (Free :p) firewall ? i use the windows firewall and i have a router-- but mahka just wondering so anyway--

oh yea what about virus scanners? i use housecall -- NAV uses too much system resources IMO

Zone Alarm - www.zonelabs.com is an excellent firewall, and Housecall is also extremely good (and resource light, as it's web-based!)

Another AV package to consider is AVG Antivirus (Again, it's free!)

RED Hot Machine said:
Can you ever be "Overprotective"? I would say no.
I agree with the concept of "never fully protected", but I disagree with the notion of protecting and protecting and protecting -- it just wastes time, resouces and money.

There is NO reason to have two hardware firewalls in a row, it's just dumb. Running a hardware and software firewall is redundant. The only thing that the software firewall will do is block which programs that YOU run have internet access, other than that, it's just wasting resources. The reason I say it's redundant is that if the hardware firewall was locked down properly (if it's a proper firewall) then there is no need for a software firewall.

Paranoid people can go to all the trouble they want, but if someone really tried, it wouldn't matter what painful lengths you go to, they would get through eventually (or atleast knock you off the net).

A hardware firewall is plenty if you keep a tight network, viruschecked, no unknowledgeable users. A software firewall is plenty if you don't have a viruschecked network or have unknowledgeable users who would download trojans. Zonealarm is a good firewall for that. So is Norton Personal Firewall, tried them both... more here

i don't think there is such a thing as being overprotected... however, i myself don't run a firewall... i don't see a real reason for me to do so... i have no sensative information on my computer... it's backup up on zip disks... if something would come in and corrupt my computer, i'd just reinstall... do a complete format and start over... i don't feel like using my resources for a firewall... my computer still seems to be working fine... i just don't see anything on my computer of that much value for somebody to hack me... i have security installed so people can't just waltz around my computer and such, but i don't make my computer fort knox... :D i'll freely give out my ip address :) it might just get me some hits on my web server ;) and that's locked down pretty tightly as well... no problems as of yet *knocks on wood*

yeah i agree with ya mbentley. i dun see the necessity of worrying being attacked. however if this is ya main server in your workplace then that is different story, but for a home user, i reckon just a normal software firewall will do the work. as for me, i only have a kerio personal firewall, and set it to block all the unnecessary traffic and only allow specific program that i use(icq, msn,,,,) to have access to the internet. and i believe that's more than enough for me. =)

There's really no such thing as being overprotective. But for a small home network, do you really need 3 firewalls? Not really. Hell, I don't run any firewalls! But if I did, I wouldn't be running a panzy little software one. I'd get a nice router to do that for me.

If you're that paranoid that somebody is going to compromise your home network, and gain access to your saved games and pr0n stash, then the best thing to do is just unplug your Cat5e cable from the wall. It's the only way you'll feel safe.

Back