• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCCHIPS M810LMR - any good mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechnoFile

I'm looking at using two of these in a couble of budget systems for some friends. The machines will be light-duty business types, and will probably never see a game at all. Anyone had any experience with these mobo's before? Anyone care to make a suggestion for another budget board? I'd like something with built-in everything, if possible.

Conventional wisdom states: Avoid PC Chips, Houston and Alton mainboards. They're all the same company. Maybe I'm too picky. The truth seems to be that skimping on the mainboard just isn't good policy. While the price is undoubtedly attractive, having even one of these cheap mobos hiccup while "doing business" for a business means that you will get a phone call from a unhappy person. If these boxes are for bona fide businesses, the business owner already understands that reliability is everything. He or she knows that quaility is important, and must be paid for.

Building boxes for friends is a somewhat hazardous undertaking. I suggest that you put quality motherboards in these machines. Don't shoot yourself in the foot, you don't want to lose a friend, or a customer right off the bat!

I understand your concerns, and I can appreciate them. Unfortunately I was given certain budgetary constraints to work in, and it just seems a little too tight for my comfort. I had doubts about that PCChips mobo, espically since its not one that you see reviewed or mentioned alot. I may want to look into (Gasp) an Intel setup for them.

Thanks for the input.

the pcchips mobo is cheap and cheerful
its ok if you need a cheap pc that will not be playing games
but being a smaller manufacturer u will lack driver support and such
and if u run into problems there is often a lack of help on these forums
but like u i just built a system based on this mobo as it was the only socket a intergrated mobo we have in australia
as long as its not 'mission critical' and not being used for games and the like u should be ok
make sure u get at least a 12 month warranty also
which is what most other mobos have i believe

if your thinking of an intel board
spend the money on a duron and a better mobo
(im using an epox) for the price of a celeron and intel mobo

I built 7 low budget machines in 2000 using their socket 7 mobo - 598LMR. It was a financial disaster for me. Every single machine gave trouble and it cost me because I was the one that had to sort out the problem. All were RMA'd and eventually I cut my losses and put in Gigabyte boards at my own cost. I don't know if the 810 is any different. If you are producing for someone else be aware that your reputation is on the line.

Back