Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

problem with new system...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-12-03, 03:46 AM Thread Starter   #1
trenchypost

Location: where a snowball really does stand a good chance all year

Question problem with new system...

currently built a new system at work, but when I hit the power switch it lights up for a second or two...and the shuts down. I can't say I've ever seen this before. Solution?? anyone??
trenchypost is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-12-03, 04:15 AM   #2
UnWishedLegacy

It could be two (relativly) simple problems- either something isnt plugged in right (like memory or your PSU plug) or something is grounding itself... try taking EVERYTHING out of the case- place them on a table and connect the basics (power, video, CPU, HS/f, Memory) and boot up- if it posts then its probably grounding or shorting itself on the case- a solution is to use paper/thin card washers on the mobo.

if there is no sign of booting (just a brief flash, a small moment of your HS/f whirring) then take off the memory and try again... if still no luck then try without the video card.

I had that problem about a month ago- turns out my memory had popped out of the Dimm slightly and was easily solved>> just put it in again and cursed it to hell and back.

If you can... try with a different Power supply too (suddenly thought- it may be a dodgy PSU or one that's underpowered for your system)

Last edited by UnWishedLegacy; 03-12-03 at 04:21 AM.
UnWishedLegacy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-12-03, 10:14 PM   #3
SpliT71

might be cpu, i had this same exact problem, ended up being my cpu..

Heatware
SpliT71 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-13-03, 02:59 AM   #4
knif_00

What are the system specs?
I've seen a similar probelm before but it ended up being the CPU Fan. It was a thermally controlled fan and the BIOS on the Soyo board would kill the power if the RPM of the CPU fan was below a certain speed.
knif_00 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.