• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

300w a problem in old ATX MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris

Hmm well i need to change the PSU in an rig laying about, the only other PSU i have is 300w, so i put it in the harddrive powers up but theres no noise, the psu fan at first i thought had stopped to i quickly unplugged. Then i took the PSu apart and had a look inside there was nothing obviously wrong with the fan or PSU. I put it back together and try again this time i notice the PSU fan is going around but very slowly. Its so slow i cant even hear it going around.:rolleyes:

Hmm i just changed out the fan in the psu and still the same thing it spins really slow, if i put my hand near it i can just feel a very slight bit if air coming through.

Hi,
it would be nice if you could try another PSU.
If anything is damaged in the PSU it isn't a good idea to keep using it.
If you had a Voltmeter (really nowadays they are £5) . Power up the PSU
on your bench by joining the green wire to black on the Motherboard
connector and then check the voltages.
If you can't do this then it is probably safer to buy another PSU.
sorry :/

ahh - as an aside - I just repaired one which had no visible faults,
one of the rectifiers on the output side had gone. The fault demonstrated
itself by only turning the fan 40 degrees and shutting down. Your fault
sounds strange - a catastrophic (sp) failure of the 12Volt line (the fan) should
shut the PSU down.

Cheers.

Ive got another PSU laying about and that one works fine, i dont know whats up with this one it worked fine before i had it in a system less than a month ago and was all going fine. Ill try fireing it up with the wire trick on the MB connector.

Back