• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upping the 2100+ multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkommeren

Registered
Well, this is my problem:

I've bought an AIUHB 2100+ 0303
My mobo: msi k7t266 pro2
My mem: Corsair xms3200

I want to up my multiplier WITHOUT modding the cpu, cuz currently my cpu runs at 13x164 and 164 is the MAXIMUM fsb, but now my fsb is too high (I'm afraid), cuz the pci bus is at 41mhz.
That's too much
Anyway, I just would like to set it at 15x
My mobo has got it in it's multiplier settings, but when I select it, nothing happens, just a black screen:mad:

What can I do about it?
No, I'm NOT buying a new mobo

Welcome to the forums.

First lower the bus to 133mhz (to be sure that's in spec), then adjust the multiplier. What happened is that you're trying to run 164mhz x 15 = 2460, and that's a lot to ask with stock voltage ;). Use the stock bus speed (133) and only adjust the multipliers to find the approximate max mhz for your cpu, then go back later and figure out which combination of maximum bus speed (more bus speed=more bandwidth=good ;) ) and multiplier you can run to achieve that max mhz.

You may also need to add some voltage, depending on your cooling, to get more mhz from the cpu.

I already did,

The FIRST thing I tried when i put in the cpu was upping the multiplier. (so it was at 133)
14 = Black screen
15 = Black screen
I'm using it now at 1.675 vols, so I know what the vcore is

I also tried it at 100mhz fsb, same thing

if yu really want to enjoy the high life of FSB you will eventually have to forget about your mobo, yu might like it , but yu will always be sitting outside the fence:D

jkommeren said:
I already did,

The FIRST thing I tried when i put in the cpu was upping the multiplier. (so it was at 133)
14 = Black screen
15 = Black screen
I'm using it now at 1.675 vols, so I know what the vcore is

I also tried it at 100mhz fsb, same thing

interesting, it very well could be the mobo then as mata suggested... I will assume you have the latest bios for tbred support, etc? Aside from that, you should be able to change the multipliers fine in the mobo as all the upper multis are unlocked on the cpu...

his bios while having them listed probably doesnt support them being manually set. its an older board and without using either the wire trick or actually painting the bridge you wont be able to access other multipliers

jkommeren said:
Well, this is my problem:
I've bought an AIUHB 2100+ 0303
My mobo: msi k7t266 pro2
I want to up my multiplier WITHOUT modding the cpu. Anyway, I just would like to set it at 15x
My mobo has got it in it's multiplier settings, but when I select it, nothing happens, just a black screen:mad:

What can I do about it?

Try setting 7X in the bios. This has worked on some mobos. Theory is the mobo sets 7X with the 1st 4 bits, then the open 5th L3 bridge adds 8X to that for a "combination" of signals = 15X....assuming your older mobo is "unable" to reset the 5th bit LO, as it should for 7X. As we said, it has worked...try it if bios has 7X in user-defined Multiplier option..
John C.

Thanks John C.

I have an older Epox 8KHA+ and a recently bought XP2100+ AIUHB that I couldn't get past 162MHz front side bus and default multiplier. I knew the processor could do more because it was still at default voltage. I had tried the 14x and 15x multipliers but they did not work. But after lowering it to 7x I get a 15x multiplier. I'm not sure why 6x didn't give me 14x but oh well. Its looking good now. Thanks alot.

memphist0 said:
Thanks John C.
I have an older Epox 8KHA+ and a recently bought XP2100+ AIUHB that I couldn't get past 162MHz front side bus and default multiplier. I knew the processor could do more because it was still at default voltage. I had tried the 14x and 15x multipliers but they did not work. But after lowering it to 7x I get a 15x multiplier. I'm not sure why 6x didn't give me 14x but oh well. Its looking good now. Thanks alot.

13X thru 14X have problems with FID signals to Northbridge being too low, so it sends incorrect system timing signals and system won't boot.
http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm link to Workarounds article, there's a section on this issue. "KF" just came up with a workaround for it. Problem is that mobos are using logic design for FID signals for Duron/Tbird which is not needed for Palomino/Tbreds, and it screws up the FID signals so you get no boots for 13X thru 14X, 14.5X remaps to 21X and it too doesn't boot, but not exactly sure if from timing or from too high an oc...we think timing cause 15X boots as you found out.
John C.

Back