• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooled GeForce FX Ultra from Gainward

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what all that tubing it looks like 1/4 inch line. if they are going to water cool it stock it may drop their market some unless they still offer an air cooled card. and how well do you think their setup will perform? looks like there is ram and video blocks on there. i definetly want that hold down on the back of the card however...

holy mother of god.....

Someones in major trouble..... thats BLADERUNNERS NF card guys... who ever posted that news is a moron....
:rolleyes:

I'll bet that a water cooled 9700 would still beat it. I must say though that geforce fx is the first card ive seen that would actually benifit from watercooled memory! :eek:

interesting! i have a radeon9700 pro and have the gpu watercooled. i would like to watercool the ram but i cant find any good blocks for it. does anyone know where i could buy some?

I know blade got some amasing overclocks out of his ram, he more than doubled his voltage, this was on the 9700.
Ill link him here...

now that I think of it, it very much resembles blade's setup. But what about all those water lines (3 I believe)? That's a lot of work just to cool one monster graphics card. Imagine how powerful the pump would have to be if that's all in parallel. Would be much better if all the blocks were interconnected in series.

The radeon 9800 pro doesn't need active ram cooling, I think that it would be much easier to watercool that. But I've heard that ati's don't overclock well...

Blade, can you give us a hint if you're working on this?

It's ok guys I know :)

This is actually more of a general proposal / idea of something, (hopefully much neater & more simplified), that Gainward wants to be able to offer in the future.

The card blocks part of the cooler works in my set-up without the need for a seperate pump / res / rad, but were added by Will Harris from Bit Tech, (both of us put it together in an extremely limited time frame), to be able to have it as a running demo unit. It actually worked well on the rad / res / pump we've used, all blocks remaining cool enough with the 120mm fan quietly spinning at 5v.

Ram blocks have not really been a requirement until recently, but the Radeon 9700 Pro I had would not run a 3d app in stock format without a deskfan blowing in the card so hot the ram was getting.

From my findings with two fx 5800 ultras, (one an early sample), it's the ram that appears to create most of the heat.

Using the FX Flow cooler I measured the backside sink at 78C, (it is not copper, but copper plated alu), The sink is also only in contact with the four backside chips directly, although four pins go through to the frontside sink. This with an open case in a 19c ambient running a 3d app at 500 / 1000 and no extra cooling fans.

Also like JFettig said water-cooling really helps with volt mods

wow blade glad to hear the truth. 78c is reallllyyy hot! my ramsinks on my 9000 pro get warm every now and then. did u run doom 3 demo on it?

enlightend said:
now that I think of it, it very much resembles blade's setup. But what about all those water lines (3 I believe)? That's a lot of work just to cool one monster graphics card. Imagine how powerful the pump would have to be if that's all in parallel. Would be much better if all the blocks were interconnected in series.

The radeon 9800 pro doesn't need active ram cooling, I think that it would be much easier to watercool that. But I've heard that ati's don't overclock well...

Blade, can you give us a hint if you're working on this?

Ive had great succes with overclocking my radeon 9700 pro. i got the core to 425 with a koolance gpu block and the ram to 338x2. anything above that and i start to get relics. with the core at 400 i dont see much of an improvement going to 425, so im assuming that the memory bandwidth is what is holding back the performance, so i really want to cool those chips down.

Here's a few pics of the cooler, click on each image for bigger pic.
The last one of us testing it with the rad / pump / res in Wil's
system proir to Will installing it for gainward.

Back