• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wiring 2 Power Supplies to an Asus A7V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warflyr

Registered
Anyways, my 300W PSU i have right now oviously isnt enough for the system, my system is more unstable than sh*t, it doenst even boot anymore with all my hardware in it, i have to take out my modem and one of my NICs to get it to boot, meaning the PSU must be under too much stress
so anyways, im thinking of picking up an extra 300W antex PSU for maybe 40$, and want to hook it up as well
like had the mobo and hds on 1 psu, and everything else on another
any ideas how to do this, etc?

i dunno why, but after i posted this in never showed up in the list
so this is kind of a bump i guess, see if it works

Well all you need to do is connect the Green Power On wire together on both PSU's. Also a black ground wire on both PSU's. Then on the second PSU connect the Grey Power ok wire to a ground wire on the second PSU.

Theres a couple of diagrams below to show you how to do it. Along with a Digram of the ATX plug to show you what wires are what.

By the way you should have posted this in General Hardware.

What is the best way to connect the wires.If I connected a 300 and 250 watt power supply would that be equivelent to a 550 watt psu. If not, would it be adequate for a thunfeerbird setup with a cd-rw and geforce in addition to the normal stuff. I am getting this setup and don't have the money fo an extra psu.

thanks! that makes enough sence, i guess ill cut the wires, solder them back together, then put some shrink rap on it, thatll do, think ill go pick up a PSU at some used computer shop tomorrow

joey_rjm5 (Jul 22, 2001 09:53 a.m.):
What is the best way to connect the wires.If I connected a 300 and 250 watt power supply would that be equivelent to a 550 watt psu. If not, would it be adequate for a thunfeerbird setup with a cd-rw and geforce in addition to the normal stuff. I am getting this setup and don't have the money fo an extra psu.

Well it really would'nt be the same as having a 550w PSU. It should work if you just use the 300w for your board. And use the 250w for the CDRW, HD's Fans and so on. Then you know the board, cpu, & gpu are getting the power they need without any other hardware trying to take it.

I just spliced my wires together. Some people will make connecters with molex connecters. Which is much cleaner. It's a personal preference really.

Good Luck and have fun.

Back