• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Taping Wires To PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmTSea19

Can I tape some wires to the bottom of my PSU, or will the wires get too hot and tranfer heat to the Motherboard? One of the wires is the 4 pin power connector, one is an audio connector, and maybe some others. My PSU is solid on the bottom, no vents or fans.
If I can tape them, should I use the basic grey electrical or duct tape, or should I use just regular colored tape? Thanks.

There should be no problem with taping the wires to the PSU. But, I recommend that you get some stick on cable clips from your local Radioshack. It will be more secure and will look better too.

Okay, Thank You. I thought a little grey tape and it might not be that noticable. You would be able to see the clips. I'll check them out though.

Ive done it before with no problems except that of you use tape when the psu gets warm the tape tends to get warm aswell and it goes really gooey and drops off.

I guess either way there might be gunk from the glue melting on the tape or the back of the adhesive clips. I'll check the PSU periodically and see how hot it gets after a few hours. Maybe it won't be so bad. If it is I'll come up with something else I guess.

I've got all my wires taped on the sides of my case & some under the PSU...just built my rig last night, though & not getting anything from hitting the power button, so I can't tell you if it's a sure method....the inside of my case does look pretty ghetto, though.

Soy

Soy, maybe you need to plug in the 4 pin power connector that you mentioned in another thread? I know I needed both the big power connector and the little 4 pin square connector. (2 on top of 2, not 4 across). Don't take my word for it, check your Motherboard Manual first. Good Luck.

hmmm....I couldn't find a connector for it...will check when i get home tonight. you have a pic, by any chance? it's really frustrating me right now....dammit! :mad: 3 hours, 45 minutes until i leave to go home...

I thought you said you had a four pin you didn't know what do with? That might be it. At the end of the wires there is a square white 4 pin Power connector. You know how the molex connectors have 4 pins across, well this connector has 2 on top of 2 and makes a square looking connector. It is small, but not the smallest connector on the PSU.

I had to use both. Maybe your Motherboard is the same way, and you need both power connectors plugged in.

Also, make sure the connectors are plugged into the Motherboard.
It may sound stupid, but I had that problem too. I thought the drives were connected to the Motherboard, but I did not push the connector in good enough. I carefully pushed it in better, and then it worked.

Take your Motherboard Manual out and do a careful step by step check of everything. Make sure everything is connected correctly.

Good Luck!

Back