• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead in 48hrs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
I was extremely happy when i got the NF7-s Rev 1.2, but that feeling was short lived. After carefully installing my new prize, the TC4 and NB waterblocks and evrything else, she came to life. managed to get 13x200=2600Mhz with 1.92vcore, VDD-1.7, AGP 1.6 and vdimm-2.9 with 7-2-2-2-2 timings.

Toast stable along with folding. Temps were:
Cpu-idle:25c, full load-29c
NB-21c

For 36 hrs she ram perfect. I then decide towatch a DVD and that's when all hell broke loose. I get this whacked out message similar to a BSOD, then a reboot, but it just hung there. I reseted, downclock, just to be on the safe side, save and exit. Upon rebooting i hear a pop then the all too familiar smell of burnt circuitry. I power off quick ,take the side panel off to asess the damage. A quick look and i did'nt see anything outta the ordinary, but a closer inspection revealed the bios chip exploded taking it's socket with it. The burning smell was confirmed when i saw the 3D sticker on the bios chip being warped and bubbled. A sure sign of being toasted.

There you have it, my work of art , dead in less than 48 hrs. I emailed eXcalibur for an RMA and i get this as a response:

Dear Customer
For your request RMA on ABIT M/B,we will ask ABIT TechSupport call you to
solve the problem first.

Thanks,

eXcaliberPC.com

Well, now i have to wait for the magic call and see what happens.

-T-

well first off id be calling personally to excaliber and demanding a replacement.this is the main reason i go newegg :D if this unlucky stuff ever hits me i feel newegg will take care of me.

secondly: wow burnt bios chip thats a new one.really odd and id say its in no way anything you did.

this does kinda make me think about this and you can tell me if im way off here.but all this bios scrambles could be a part of bad voltage regulation to the bios chip and would also explain a burnt chip.this is just some qiuk speculation but is really odd.

dang to my 1.2 should be here soon too.i have my a7n8x heck i might need to keep it just as a backup ,instead of returning it.with the luck ive been having.

deathstar13 said:
well first off id be calling personally to excaliber and demanding a replacement.this is the main reason i go newegg :D if this unlucky stuff ever hits me i feel newegg will take care of me.

secondly: wow burnt bios chip thats a new one.really odd and id say its in no way anything you did.

this does kinda make me think about this and you can tell me if im way off here.but all this bios scrambles could be a part of bad voltage regulation to the bios chip and would also explain a burnt chip.this is just some qiuk speculation but is really odd.

dang to my 1.2 should be here soon too.i have my a7n8x heck i might need to keep it just as a backup ,instead of returning it.with the luck ive been having.

Yep me too NewEgg rules,no questions ever asked from me,and if you ask nicely they will even wave the restock fee..
I love NewEgg:D

That's a bunch of BS from ExcaliberPC. I agree, call them and demand a brand new mobo.

The chip is burned, what the heck do they expect Abit to solve?

Its probably a standard robotic response, call them up tell what happened see what they say.. ive heard good things about excaliber, but for service newegg rules. my retail gf4-4200 blew up twice no less in a span of 6 months. newegg replaced it twice no questions asked!

I don't know anything about ExcaliberPC but expect they will replace it for you.

However if you have any problems with them, find the Abit office phone in USA and call them. They willl replce it for you. I replaced one KG7-raid - I went to the office to ask them and they switched it on the spot. No receipt was needed - it's obviuos it was an abit board...
They have an office in SF bay area in California... so your option is to call them.

Normally I call NewEgg directly and tell them I need a specific part,like I just got my new NF7 today but when I ordered I called them right after and explained to them I needed the 1.2 version,and that is what I got.But that is the version that is most likely on there shelves.To me it just isn't worth the risk to buy anywere eles in my opinion.

Back