• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p/// Celeron vs. 1700+ performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude_drew

PIII Celeron vs. 1700+ performance

No FLAMING. I am too tired to look this up right now. I am gonna build a computer for someone who dont know nutin about them. If I get a board for the amd, then I could upgrade easier, but if I got the intel, I couldn't upgrade to much. The board either way is gonna use PC-133 SD-RAM. The 1.1A celly is $41 at newegg and the 1700+ XP is $52. The boards are cheap to.
Like I said earlier, dont flame because I wasnt the post to be here when I wake up and there after to check it after school. Mods don't delete this please.

yeah. the upgradability is a big factor. all them new-fangled Intel CPUs have higher and higher FSB requirements. AMD seems to have a fairly constant FSB requirement (333MHz for the Athlon XP 3000+) which makes upgrading nice and easy :D personally, i float towards AMD CPUs, sniffing the air as i fly *shifty eyes* ;)

-daga

If you are locked into SDRAM, you might as well get the celly
1.1a since it will have a real good chance of running at 133
or higher.

Make sure the MB supports the Tualatins.....

if you can overclock the 1.1A to 133fsb it'll perform about on par with the 1700+ maybe better, depending on what you're doing with it.

I doubt it would be overclocked though. It's for my grandpa. I would, but my dad said no. They wouldn't know any thing about temps or other important stuff. I gotta get them to buy Win XP so it doesn't crash as well.

Tualatin cores are marginally ahead of palomino cores at the same clockspeed and FSB with SDRAM. The celeron will only get a 100mhz FSB, so it's at a disadvantage for a start, then it's some 200Mhz slower. With recent DDR chipsets an XP at the same clock will be faster than the tualatin.

With excellent cooling those cellys can hit 1.5-1.7G, on up to 150fsb with good RAM. However current crop of XP1700s may be Throroughbred cored, and be capable of up to 2.3G, with 2G almost certain with a tbred B core.
So all in all with no o/c the XP 1700 option is going to be quicker, by about 10-15% I think. Also in 2 years time there is nowhere to upgrade the celly system to. But by then you might be able to get Barton XP 3600s for 50 bucks for a cheap double the CPU speed upgrade. (if it will work in the board you're getting) .

If you were doing a level playing field comparison, a 1.4 tualatin celeron, vs a thunderbird 1.4 with 100/200 fsb with SDRAM. Then the tually would be a better buy at the same price for getting 1.8G while the tbird would only do 1.5-1.6. However, since you're getting more inital Mhz for your money with the XP, and more upgrade potential than with the celly, don't worry about it.

regards,

Road Warrior

Back