• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partition Magic 8 problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ACF

Just reinstalled the program after an OS reinstall and I can't start it. I get an Init failed: Error 117 when starting Partition Magic, then it closes. The partnfo file states that the partition doesn't end at end of cylinder.

Everything else with the system runs fine. I have 2 partitions: one is 35gb, the other 5gb, drives d: and e:. I want to expand that 2nd partition. Using the PM DOS disks report the same errors so its not just a Windows problem.

Or any suggestions of another program I can use to troubleshoot this (or fix it)?

Last edited:
When you re-installed, did you format your partitions? If so, what utility did you use?

Yea... well I formated the primary partition (35gb) using the Win2k install CD (NTFS). Didn't touch the 2nd one because its a backup partition and has Ghost images on it.

well, by default 2K/XP will make an extended partition instead of a seperate one, like some other partitioners do. That may be your problem. Download Ranish Partition Manager from www.ranish.com/part and run it in DOS to see what your starting and ending cylinder alignment looks like, and if your are indeed on an extended partition...

Ok, thanks. I forgot to mention I created the extended partition with PM originally. However, since then I had restored from a Ghost image to the primary partition from one of the images on that extended partition. I wonder if thats part of the problem? And how would I fix it? It can't be THAT big of a deal I wouldn't think because everything is running fine, its just that PM is confused about whats going on right now. :)

The more I think about it, the more I think thats the problem. The image I restored from was before I made the extended partition so the OS is "expecting" one big partition but was actually restored on one of TWO existing partitions. Perhaps creating a new backup image and restoring from that would be the cure, problem is I don't have the space on the current backup partition to do it. Oh the irony! :eek:

From Powerquest database (Which is down at the moment:( )

Solution: Error 117
Run PARTINFO to detect any partition table errors. If partition table errors are found, search the PowerQuest Knowledge Base for solutions to the specific errors. If no partition table errors are found, the problem may be due to a conflict that is seen only in Windows. In this case, you should run PartitionMagic from the rescue diskettes.

If you are trying to delete, move, or resize a partition when you receive the error, then try hiding the partition, exiting PartitionMagic, and running PartitionMagic again after the system reboots. At this point, you should be able to manipulate the partition as desired.

Windows 95 or DOS
------------------------------
If Error 117 is occurring in conjunction with Windows 95 or DOS, try booting from a different version of DOS.

NTFS Partitions
------------------------
If Error 117 is occurring in conjunction with an NTFS partition, run PartitionMagic from its rescue diskettes, make the desired partition changes, and restart the computer. Note: You may have to edit the BOOT.INI file later, so prepare ahead of time by building an NT Boot Disk or by running the NTFSINI2.EXE utility. (Click here to download NTFSINI2.EXE from PowerQuests FTP site).

To run NTFSINI2, use the following syntax:

NTFSINI2 [ /r ] [ /s] <Partition> BOOT.INI

where <Partition> is a drive letter or partition number. Include a single space between <Partition> and BOOT.INI.

The /r switch restores the BOOT.INI file, and the /s switch causes partition numbers and other data to be displayed.

System Partitions
---------------------------
If Error 117 is being reported on the system partition, run PartitionMagic from its rescue diskettes or from MS-DOS. If the system partition is on a drive other than the primary drive and contains Windows NT/Windows 2000, then use a Windows NT/Windows 2000 boot floppy. To create a Windows NT/Windows 2000 boot floppy, perform the following:

1. Format a floppy disk.

2. Copy the BOOT.INI, NTDETECT.COM, and NTLDR files to the floppy disk.

IBM DOS 7 Partitions
--------------------------------
Error 117 has also been seen infrequently on IBM DOS 7 partitions. In these rare cases, hide the partition and make the desired changes, and then unhide the partition.

Problem Description
Error 117

Error 117 Partitions drive letter cannot be identified

Cause of this problem:
PartitionMagic must be able to find the drive letter for each partition before modifications can be made. If this is not possible, Error 117 may be reported.

Usually, the reason PartitionMagic cannot find drive letters is due to one of the following:

- There are partition table errors.
- A driver on your system is changing drive letters from their defaults.
- Your partitions do not have serial numbers.
- You are running Windows NT from a logical partition.

BTW: Do you boot from your d: drive:confused:

Oh and there might be a simple fix, if you have another HDD you could install any OS and PM on that HDD, then boot from that HDD and expand (Resize) the Partitions (worked for me when I got errors under DOS).

I had a similar problem with end of cylinder alignment errors a few months ago with pm8. It wouldn't let me create a partition and I'm pretty sure it was this error. Have you run scandisk? After I ran it the error with pm8 went away.

Thanks Kill, boot from c: drive and since I get the same error from the DOS (rescue) PM disks I may have to try your last solution.

Cuch, if that works, I'll buy you a beer. :)

Last edited:
Back