• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Wattage Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rrster

Registered
Please Delete this thread.

I am working on a new Rig.
I have currently an Antec SL 350 Power Supply, but suspect it will not be enough. I have sat and crunched few number. Below are they. Hoot I am looking for a recomendation of a power supply for all this and future upgrades and additions to the rig.

Tell me how much wattage would be sufficient for below Rig.
I want to OC the Athlon to close to 3 Ghz Speed, but bus will remain on 333 FSB, not OCing Ram.

All Fans and Cathode Tubes = 38 Watts
Laser LED = 3.12 Watts
Floppy = 5 Watts
Adaptec SCSI Card= 20 Watts
Earthlink 10/100 Card= 4 Watts
1 X CD/dvd/cd-rw uses 25 Watts= 25 Watts
Motherboard Without CPU or Ram= 40 Watts Max
Ram 8 watts/ 128MB (728/128)X8= 48 Watts
AMD Athlon 333 FSB 2600+/2700+ wattage= 68.3 watts
IBM UltraStar SCSI-3 HD 22 Watts for 1 SCSI-3 * 4 HD= 88 Watts

+ Not to Mention External USB Powered Devices. Have not counted them.

Grand Total of Watts Req = 339.12 Watts

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.
The 350 should accomodate what you are running now, but as you plan on doing some overclocking, consider a 450W or up. You have to bear in mind in your calculations that every component is not using maximum juice at one time.

Thanks Stool

I am sorry this is a repitative thread, and I requested to be deleted. Some how it gave me an error first time I did "Submit post", but posted anyway to forums.

Well here is the link to the other post which is running away.
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176586

I sugguest everyone who wants to respond to reply on that thread just to keep things organized. Sorry for the trouble.

As for the Power Supply, I was browsing refurbished section of Newegg and ran-into 550 Watt Enermax, with free shipping for $99. I could not resist. :cool: Should have that in the new rig by end of next week.

Thanks for response.
rr

Back