• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Dead PSU???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
N

nerdlogic

I just got all the rest of my stuff last night & put it all together...I hit the power button & ...NOTHING!

Is it a dead PSU, or could it be something else?

Soy

Could be a lot of things, not necessarily a dead psu. Do you have an extra parts lying around like another psu, memory, cpu etc?

a old rig(built in 1999) w/a celly400 on babyat mobo.

Hmm.. sometimes when I put together my computer after working on it, I get the same thing. Stuff I sometimes forget to do...

1) plug the psu to the motherboard (pls don't laugh :p )
2) the psu "switch" is on O instead of |
3) forgot to connect the case's power switch to the motherboard

also, did you clear the cmos before powering up?

checked all of that as well... :D
but i get nothing...no lights, no beeps, nothing powers up.
did not clear CMOS. do I need to do that on a new mobo?

Another bone head thing I've done is not plug the power cord in.
However that's pretty easy to spot.

Do you have power good led on your mobo? (they all have that right?) and is it on?

If you have a PSU tester you can use that, or do the paperclip thing and check the PSU (However disconnect it from everything else).

AntecRep

no led on mine. no psu tester, may try the wire connection to test.
an hour & 1/2 until i go home to troubleshoot.

Soy

An AT mobo? If you're using an AT PSU with it, did you make sure that the black wires on the connectors are in the middle, next to one another? It's possible to plug them in backwards.

If the mobo can use either an AT or ATX PSU, is there a jumper to select the type? My FIC VA-503+ has a jumper for this, but it's Socket 7.

larrymoencurly said:
An AT mobo? If you're using an AT PSU with it, did you make sure that the black wires on the connectors are in the middle, next to one another? It's possible to plug them in backwards.

If the mobo can use either an AT or ATX PSU, is there a jumper to select the type? My FIC VA-503+ has a jumper for this, but it's Socket 7.

the AT mobo is my old rig. i'm having this problem with my new rig.

if you have a floppy drive, make sure that little connector is connected with all 4 pins, it happens to me sometimes, i dont plug it in right and have to recheck it.

Vulpes said:
if you have a floppy drive, make sure that little connector is connected with all 4 pins, it happens to me sometimes, i dont plug it in right and have to recheck it.

Happened to me this morning when I was going inside my old rig...accidentally disconnected the floppy drive power & my mom needed to use the floppy drive...realized this, replugged it, but it didn't power up again...I had to leave for class, so my mom used my fiancee's mac, and I left it till i got here...checked everything about 10 minutes ago & realized I only had 3 of the floppy pins in the power connector. :D

As far as my new rig goes...no luck on the jumper...I'm going to have to RMA my psu! got it from directron too, so ground shipping is going to take forever! man! I was hoping to play with my new rig this weekend too! :(

Soy

UPDATE:
PSU is working...i'm using fortron 350w & (using pic posted in this thread) left one connector in pin 14(green wire) and connected it to pin 15(black wire next to it) and it powered up! Double checked all connections...f_usb connections were not properly connected...properly connected them and everything powered up...now time to test! Will switch rigs & post back.

Last edited:
Back