• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Bandwidth Vs CPU and FSB speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

penguinpoo

Ok, These are my two overclocking choices on my Dual Channel DDR SINXP motherboard... I can either run at

169MHz FSB, 2.4B @ 3.02GHz and memory at 422MHz 3-6-3-3

OR

180MHz FSB, 2.4B @ 3.24GHz and memory at 324MHz 3-6-3-3

Which would be best for gaming and all round speed?

Last edited:
Bench at both speeds man. See which performs better.

You're going to see about a 600 or 700mb/s increase in memory bandwidth by going with the 422mhz. That's a big jump. Just test them both out.

Your SiS655 P4 is a dual channel.

At DDR 333, the max dual channel bandwidth = 333 * 8 * 2 = 5328 MB/s

Assuming 75% memory controller efficiency, I bet the Sifoft bandwidth would be around = 4000 MB/s

If you run at 169/422, the dual channel memory bandwdith = 422 * 2 * 8 = 6752 MB/s, but then it would be limited by the FSB bandwidth = 169 * 4 * 8 = 5408 MB/s. Probably you will get around 5000+ MB/s on this.

Its look like 169/422 is a better choice than 180/330 for memory bandwidth and also the FSB runs slower, ...

Let's see what Sisoft says.

Ok im benching now... Using 3D mark 2001 SE. just wanted to know what others thought. As i was benching on the 180MHz FSB config, the PC rebooted, so i increased the AGP V by+0.2 Just incase it was that... back to benching. any one else?

Thing is, would Higher FSB and CPU speed be prefrable to Higher Memory thingy speed?

Well I benchmarked... and strange results popped out, It seems its gettings aprox 4000MB/s on 169FSB 422MHz mem and about 50MB/s MORE on 180MHz FSB 324MHz memory.

Keep your memory running at the same exact speed your FSB is running at. A 1:1 ratio is an exact match of the fsb's and the memory's theoretical max bandwidth. Any higher than that, you start running into latency penalties since the two systems are running out of sync, as proven by your 50MB/sec defecit when you ran the memory too fast.

My Granite Bay board only has a 1:1 ratio, which is perfect, since running any faster or any slower will do nothing but hamper your performance.

Back