• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7A266 DDR/SDR Help Please ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harry

Registered
I bought a asus A/v133a w/audio that went south on me 10 days after i bought. The party I bought from replaced it with asus A7a266 socket a 266fsb . What I would like to know is this a good board I found it has no sound and package was opened . Waiting for a call back but really getting cold feet . I need answer pretty quick. They are willing to get me either board I want and in sealed box . Your opinion on board best board please. Thanks Harry

I'm running an A7A, The system I built for my dad is running a KT7A (VIA chipset). My system seems much faster and more responsive then his ever did. We are running the same speed CPU's as well. One of these days I'll have to get around to doing some benchmarking to see for sure.

I have the A7A and I love it :)

Definitely keep the A7A, it's worth more than the little chunk of change that a new sound card will cost you. (Make sure you get the version with 10 dip switches if you plan to change your multiplier!!)

bdf24 (Jul 26, 2001 04:13 a.m.):
I'm running an A7A, The system I built for my dad is running a KT7A (VIA chipset). My system seems much faster and more responsive then his ever did. We are running the same speed CPU's as well. One of these days I'll have to get around to doing some benchmarking to see for sure.

Yeah, yours may seem faster, but consider this:

1. Are you both using PC133 SDRAM? To accurately compare you really should. I think it's a no brainer that even a lower grade DDR chipset mobo (when equipped with DDR memory) would outperform a PC133 system.

2. Do you/does he tweak the OS in the same way or at all? There are a lot of tweaks for Windows that can make big differences.

3. Other tweak settings. To accurately compare, everything should be set up as similarly as possible.

SickBoy

[oc]SickBoy (Jul 26, 2001 09:48 a.m.):
bdf24 (Jul 26, 2001 04:13 a.m.):

Yeah, yours may seem faster, but consider this:

1. Are you both using PC133 SDRAM? To accurately compare you really should. I think it's a no brainer that even a lower grade DDR chipset mobo (when equipped with DDR memory) would outperform a PC133 system.

2. Do you/does he tweak the OS in the same way or at all? There are a lot of tweaks for Windows that can make big differences.

3. Other tweak settings. To accurately compare, everything should be set up as similarly as possible.

SickBoy

If you read my sig you'll see that I'm running Micron PC 133 ram, Not DDR. Also we have the same soundcard. Only difference is our video cards and Hard drives. I have a Radeon 64 DDR and he has a V3 3500. Also He has a 40 gig ATA 100 hard drive. I have a 20 gig ATA 66 Hard drive. And I have his PC tweaked pretty much the same as what I've got with mine. Seeing as I'm the one who works on his PC all the time. Were both running 256 megs of ram.

Overall, I've been pleased with the a7a..I think it was worth getting.

Vryce (Jul 26, 2001 05:48 p.m.):
Overall, I've been pleased with the a7a..I think it was worth getting.
Thanks for the reply's will go with a7a

Back