• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink on southbridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doesnotcompute

Registered
How do you install a heatsink on the southbridge of an EPoX 8RDA motherboard? Do you use super glue or is there some special thermal grease that will make the heatsink stick to the southbridge?

I have used super glue on the corners to secure heatsinks in the past but I'm getting ready to order arctic alumina from svc.

linky

Arctic silver also makes an adhesive but I'm too worried about
getting it on since I'm very messy and it is capacitive.

The southbridge already runs very hot, more than 60C, after VDD mod I don't even want to touch it. I secured a small heatsink owith superglue on corners and AS3 in the middle, but I'm planning to put a Titan VGA cooler on the northbridge and use a stock nortbridge cooler for the southbridge.

he means it's not running any hotter than stock, no boards have been known to need additional cooling to the south bridge that controls the pci bus which is locked at 33mhz, so it won't get hotter with overclocking, it will be even cooler than older boards where pci bus is overclocked with fsb cpu overclocking, logic leading to it being unnecessary and isn't going to help with overclocking anyway

The 8RDA has holes for a southbridge HS you could get a zalman NB block and it will fit fine... but I used the zalman for my NB and cut three fins off the stock sink to fit the south bridge...

Cooling the southbridge will help stability issues in some cases...

Thanks. I used the northbridge of an older motherboard and put glue on the corners and put some heatsink compound on it and the southbridge is nice and cool.

I did the same thing took a NB cooler off my friends compaq and put it on my SB it had push pins but I didnt put any thermal compound will be doing that thursday when my Nb cooler gets here.

The Nforce 2 sb run hot with the onboard audio. I used hotglue on the corners instead of superglue. I think it will be easier to remove.

I bought the Vantec Iceberq Chip Cooler. Active cooler on the NB, and there was a passive sink just the right size for the SB.

Tycho said:
I have used super glue on the corners to secure heatsinks in the past but I'm getting ready to order arctic alumina from svc.

linky

Arctic silver also makes an adhesive but I'm too worried about
getting it on since I'm very messy and it is capacitive.

FYI: I've used the Arctic Alumina adhesive. If the sink is a permanent addition, slap it on. Be warned - it WORKS! If you ever intend on removing it without killing your board/component, dilute the adhesive with regular AS3. That lessens the adhesive effect and you should be able to remove it again if you need to.

y did ya'll have to modify n/b heatsink to mount on sb? mine did it with no probs. anything over like 190 fsb would lock up keyboard and mouse, so thats y i put one on mine.

I did. I had to take a couple of the edges off the bottom fins to get it to clear a couple on PCB components. After that it seated fine. The mount holes match up perfect.

Do you need to remove the motherboard from the case to mount/unmount the north/south bridge heatsinks on the 8rda+ using the mount holes? Also, any recommendations for a heatsink, my sound is messing up and I want it to stop! Or if anyone is relatively sure the sound would be fixed... It only happens on days when I don't have the Air Conditioning on in the house, so I'm assuming it won't take much to fix this problem.

update: I put my finger on the south bridge, if I hold it on there for a few seconds it gets pretty damn hot... I'm worried about permanently damaging the mobo if I don't do something about this pretty fast. Do you think the North Bridge stock heatsink will be enough to keep this thing cool? If so, any recommendations for a good NB heatsink?

Last edited:
xAlucarDx said:
Do you need to remove the motherboard from the case to mount/unmount the north/south bridge heatsinks on the 8rda+ using the mount holes?
Yes, yes you do. (learned that the hard way).
Also, any recommendations for a heatsink, my sound is messing up and I want it to stop! Or if anyone is relatively sure the sound would be fixed... It only happens on days when I don't have the Air Conditioning on in the house, so I'm assuming it won't take much to fix this problem.
I got the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit North Bridge/ South Bridge cooler and I applied the NB cooler to my south bridge and the VERY small south bridge heat sinks to my video card. I Just played doom 3 for an hour and had no problems - I think it's fixed!
update: I put my finger on the south bridge, if I hold it on there for a few seconds it gets pretty damn hot... I'm worried about permanently damaging the mobo if I don't do something about this pretty fast. Do you think the North Bridge stock heatsink will be enough to keep this thing cool? If so, any recommendations for a good NB heatsink?
Well, this one I didn't test, so I'd still be interested in hearing an answer since I plan on putting the new NB cooler onto the NB next time I have the mobo out of the case.

he means it's not running any hotter than stock, no boards have been known to need additional cooling to the south bridge that controls the pci bus which is locked at 33mhz, so it won't get hotter with overclocking, it will be even cooler than older boards where pci bus is overclocked with fsb cpu overclocking, logic leading to it being unnecessary and isn't going to help with overclocking anyway
It could very well help with overclocking. For one, the SB isn't controlled by the PCI bus, but instead controls the PCI bus. A locked PCI bus isn't going to make life a whole lot easier on the southbridge, it just makes life easier for PCI/AGP devices. Also, increasing the VDD on the NB results in an increase on the Southbridge as well, producing more heat. Lastly, the link between the NB and SB has to be affected by the NB, which in turn is affected by FSB. That makes FSB and the SB indirectly related, at the very least. Southbridge overheating often causes audio crackling on onboard solutions, and other random stability problems. Even with a stock system, cooling the NF2 southbridge, while not generally necessary, is always a good idea.

Even with a stock system, cooling the NF2 southbridge, while not generally necessary, is always a good idea.

FYI-I've found those suckers warm up pretty good on the KTs w/onboard sound, too.

Yeah, that's true too. Seems to happen a little more often with the NF2's though, I think.

Back