• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suggestions on multimeters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
i am thinking about getting a multimeter for voltage testing (duh, of course :D) and i really have no clue what would be a decent multimeter. would a radio shack multimeter be accurate for testing voltages (primarily with psu's) or do you think that for accurate voltages i should get something better? i found a ton of multimeters on ebay and the radio shack one at their website... i finally decided that it would be great to have one after trying to figure out what was wrong with my girlfriend's parent's computer. it just made it easier when i could test the voltages to see what was going on... luckily her dad had a multimeter on hand and we pretty much decided it was a dead at psu... oh well... they weren't too worried about it... they have the system i built for my girlfriend... :D

anyway, what do you guys use/suggest??? thanks for all the input.

The place with the biggest variety of meters must be www.mcmelectronics.com, and several can even be hooked up to the RS-232 port (I didn't notice any cheaper ones for USB). Sears has some like that, too.

I thought that all multimeters with at least 3.5 digits were very accurate.

Fluke meters are among the best.

I don't have one, although I have used them a few times;)

I stick with Radio Shack cheapos for the most part: accurate enough for what I do (cars, bikes and computers) and very inexpensive:D

If you really know what you are doing with electronics then spend the money and get a good one...or if you are like me- and don't understand most of the things a reallly good multimeter can DO....just get a cheapo for the basic stuff:D

Last edited:
They put these on sale at radio shack for 19.00 bucks all the time... http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...y_name=CTLG_008_002_001_000&product_id=22-802 compact, turn themselves off if you forget...I like flukes also, but it seems they get borrowed and not returned, they seem to grow legs and walk off...cant give one of these radio shacks away...I really like how all the leads wrap up in the case and how small it is, not tiny but small...for PSU testing they are work great...fit in a tool pouch...:)

Geee Maannn.... Now you're really really into it.... yeah... OC business is addicted... just like smoking cigarettes!!!

Buy a digital multimeter, Fluke brand is the best.

NwO_2k_Skiggs said:
if thats ur girlfriend give the parents anything they want...the radio shack one will be fine

haha. i will have to wait a little bit before i get my multimeter... last night was a bad night... :D :D spent a little too much money... nothing like half price margarita night :beer: oh well... i don't need it yet, but thanks to everybody for the input... i'll be sure to check out a fluke one before i go to radio shack though...

Back