• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone opened their thermaltake PSU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

totof

Registered
Now I changed my system to the coolermaster atc-200 case, I can hear the fans from my PSU (Thermaltake 420W W0008R).

I wonder if I could change the fans on it to the same model as my case which is really quiet (YS-tech FD8125 27CFM 22dA).

Before I woid my warranty opening the unit up and in case the fans cannot be changed I thought I'd ask if anyone opened one of these before?

I have, however, you will have to solder the wires from your new fan onto the wires from the old fan as there is a weird plug on the end of it that plugs into the board. :)

Last edited:
I just opened my psu and like you say it looks like I am up for some soldering. I am OK with that while it's large jobs like wires...

I'll keep you posted on the noise level change if any.

Mind that you leave the PSU unplugged for a couple of days before you set to work! If you unplug the computer from the mains, then push the power button, that will take away some of the charge, and then leave the PSU unplugged for a couple of days... If you set to work straight after unplugging it, you might get a very nasty electrical shock off of one of the fat capacitors inside the PSU.

thanks for the warning mate. I knew I had to be careful with these capacitors but a thought that leaving it unplugged overnight would do (nothing like two days).

Anyway, taking my PSU out of the case allowed me to realise that that anoying little noise is not coming from the PSU fan. In fact the two fans are very quiet ...

Trying to isolate that noise is prooving to be quite difficult..I think it is some kind of vibration from the heatsink or the board transmitted through the chassis or something like that.

I'll keep looking...

it is a continuous noise.
I can hear when the HD is reading/writing and it sound s different.

Back