• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water balloon bursted on laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColdFlare

Help, I dried most of the water, my little cousin bursted the balloon on my laptop.

I dried the keyboard with a blow dryer on cool.

The screen tho, there is a spot on the right, where the color is lighter, and it seems wet inside. Is there anyway to fix this?
Can I take it apart and dry it? or should i just let it dry itself.

The balloon had regular tap water.

Egsh, find a big stick, beat the cousin (the older the more beatings, the younger the less)

My gut feeling is no, you probably cannot repair it. However there's a chance that it's just being shorted because of moisture. I got water in an indiglo watch once, indiglo stopped working but as soon as it dried up it worked fine again. I know a watch and an LCD screen have little in common, but it's a hypothesis.

personally id let it air dry, might take a while, if the laptop is still underwarranty you might wanna check that out. also i dont know how your tap water is but if it has alot of impurities in it you might wanna consider finding some sciecne (schools have it in their science labs usually) grade distilled wate, or sotre brand distilled water if you cant find any of the former, and rinsing the laptop out again, but if your water quality isnt to bad it shouldnt be too big of a problem.. i dont think at least

*edit* heh what do ya know my 500th post :)

I spilled an entire tall glass of milk in mine while it was on:D It went into the keybord, in a second I had the battery out. So i drained it out of the speaker at the bottom. Opened it up, cleaned it. Put it back together and it worked fine:)

drunkmonkey said:
I spilled an entire tall glass of milk in mine while it was on:D It went into the keybord, in a second I had the battery out. So i drained it out of the speaker at the bottom. Opened it up, cleaned it. Put it back together and it worked fine:)

None of it got on the screen? The water seems to have gone under the first layer on my lcd.

I would say disassemble as much of the laptop as possible, and let it sit and dry. I'd give it at least a week, but that's just me being paranoid.

Oh yeah, I partially agree with the above "beating the kid with a stick" idea. Disregard beating him more/less for being older/younger...........just beat him till the laptop is totally dried out. ;)

The thing has gotten better. Most of the top layer of the wet LCD has been dried. Some of the discolor is gone. The bottom layer has reduced in size, but its very little improvement. I think this thing would take a week or more to dry completely. Nothing got fried tho, I guess the water didnt seep further than the 2nd layer of LCD.

I love my cous, accident happens oh well.

rubbing alchool some times helps

we used that on my dads laptop that he spilled soup on

it went from no keys working to most keys working

crash893 said:
rubbing alchool some times helps

we used that on my dads laptop that he spilled soup on

it went from no keys working to most keys working

Yea, but everything else works, I've already dried everything up. Its just the damn screen, and I'm afraid to put stuff on it, you know there are these precautions in taking care of LCDs.

lol, I'm sorry dude, but that is kind of funny.

but seriously, i dont think there's any way to take the LCD apart without hurting it further. your best bet is probably just waiting for it to dry. and if it's still under warranty I would call them and make them give you a new LCD

Back