• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comment on my new system...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jman999

That I am planning to buy.

Basically, just tell me if you have any suggestions or ideas.
Here is the link to the newegg wishlist page.

BTW: I am buying one thing different from the wishlist. Instead of the speakers on the wishlist I am getting this:

180Watts PMPO Computer Stereo Speakers Model EP-691/SP691
180 watts PMPO
2x3.5' full range cone type
Total Noise Voltage
Dimension: 185x73x120mm

for $7 with shipping

How many fans should I buy. Right now as you can see from the wishlist I'm buting 2 $8 80mm ones.

Also should I get the PSU on the Wishlist or the .Sparkle 350 Watt ,which is $5.00 more. I'm pretty sure they both output 220 watts. The only reason I want this one is because it comes with 2 fans

any speakers that cost $7 are certain to blow chunks :D. Some good speaker brand names - Logitech, Altec Lansing...Klipsch if you're rich. Newegg has the Altec Lansing 251 set for only $68...they're a really good 5.1 set, at a pretty good price. I have them on my main rig.

If you're a gamer, you'll definately want to invest in some nice speakers. If you're not a gamer, you could get by with a MUCH cheaper video card.

Personally, I'd get the OEM proc, instead of retail box...and pick your own heatsink/fan. The AMD OEM heatsink is a minimal performer (check the heatsink ratings link on the front page).

I'm not sure about the PSU. I never had an Allied, so I'm not sure of their quality. Sparkle PSU's are good...but the one on your wish list has a higher wattage rating. Personally, I'd get a 400 watt PSU or higher (but that may be overkill).

I know that they are pretty cheap, but right now I am using 2 Infinity brand computer speakers. In the future I will probably upgrade. The speakers I'm buying are probably at least as good as the speakers in my tv, right. Its just a 30 Inch conventional with like 2 5 watt, small speakers built in.

I'll probably upgrade to a sound card too, when I get the chance (from 6 channel on-board sound)

I'm more of a casual gamer, but i want to be able to play a game like Command & Conquer Generals no sweat with relatively high settings.

I've been thinking about that though. Maybe I'll downgrade my vid card and upgarde my sound card ans speakers.

As for the retail instead of the OEM CPU:

A couple of things

1. If my cpu is running hot I'll upgrade my hs/fan
  2. The price difference between the retail and OEM version is only $5
  3. The OEM version isnt in stock
  4. I like good warranties
    [/list=1]

You need to ditch the Allied PSU...You have some really nice components, why scrimp on the PSU? I would also suggest buying a higher quality RAM, CAS 3? For not a bunch more money you could get the Sapphire red pcb powered by ATI 9500...:D

dude, i would **** myself if you could run command and conquer generals with reasonably high setting with that videocard, get one with 128 megs of ddr and you should be fine though. also, pick out some different speakers 'cause those ones aren't going to do, you can't get decent speakers for $7

What about this RAM:

INSANE DEAL: PC3500 512MB 434MHz - CAS 2.0 - Copper Heat Spreader - Ultra Performance Chips - FREE UPS SHIPPING
Price $109.95

Or this RAM:

click to enlarge/buy
NEW! OCZ Extreme Performance 512MB EL DDR PC-3500 Enhanced Latency Series - 4.5 ns chips - CL2/CAS 2.0 - 1T - 434MHz+ - Copper Heat Spreaders - FREE SHIPPING
List $229.00
Price $169.95

Even though its a little on the expensive side.

Both from hardcorecooling.com

What about this GPU:

ATI OEM RADEON 9500 64MB DDR 8X AGP BULK Specifications:
Chipset: ATI RADEON 9500
Memory:64MB 128-bit DDR memory
Supports the new AGP 8X standard (2.0 GB/sec)
Unique VIDEOSHADER™ engine uses programmable pixel shaders to accelerate video processing and provide better-looking visuals
ATI's latest FULLSTREAM™ technology removes blocky artifacts from streaming Internet video and provides sharper image quality
SMARTSHADER™ 2.0 technology allows users to experience complex, movie-quality effects in next-generation 3D games and applications
OEM Box (see pics) "Powered by ATI" Manufactured By Sapphire "Powered by ATI" Manufactured By Sapphire Model#: RADEON 9500 64M (S) -OEM Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

For only $137

Last edited:
altec landsing = win, get some of those or i've heard the new logitech z680's are good? anyway that gfx card, i would get the 128mb version in the red pcb layout to softmod it to a 9700 np believe me its worth the extra 40-50 bucks :)

Back