• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ti4200 64MB 8X AGP vs. 128MB 4X AGP, which is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
PNY GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB DDR
outperforms (is better than)
BFG Asylum GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB DDR

because
500 MHz DDR memory is used on the 64MB PNY
vs.
444 MHz DDR memory used on the 128MB BFG.

However it has been said that even if
8X AGP wins in theory, in practice you should go with
overclocked 128MB 4X AGP
and not
overclocked 64MB 8X AGP.

I don't know, it's still unclear...

first of all let me give you a very honest suggestion, instead of going for a ti4200 (direct x 8 based card) go for Radeon 9500 Pro (direct x 9.0 based card) you will much more future ready

Now let me come to your query most of the graphic cards manufacturers ship their 64mb versions with faster memory and 128mb version of card with slower memory that's why 64mb cards tend to out perform their 128mb brothers

Strickly talking in terms of future, the new games are utilizing more and more memory and it would be better if you go for the 128mb version of the card

8X AGP as far as i know makes no difference what so ever

There ARE manufacturers who ship both their version (64mb and 128mb) with same speed memory the first one which comes to my mind (i will highly recomend it) would be MSI and second is ASUS i suggest you check their line of cards and go for either company card 128mb

hope that explains :)

Thank you very much. I have to choose between one of these becasue both are in my house. Which one would you choose?

I know there are better third choices...

oh i thought you were thinking about buying therefore my post was regarding that :)

if you have both the cards already than you can be better judge of that, put both the cards in same machine run some benchmarks oc both of the cards and keep the one which satisfy you the most

Benchmark them? he-he good one. (One of them is shrink wrapped, I'd rather not open it, hence the question.) Thanks for trying to help me, I really appreciate it though.

Looking around a bit, others also seem to think that 8X AGP over 4X should not be the decisive issue. Rather, they say
500 MHz from 64MB PNY will beat
444 MHz from 128MB BFG.

But... they say BFG will overclock higher so overclocked 128MB BFG speedwise will take out 64MB PNY, plus obviously it's got the double memory.

So that seems to be that. Please post if you disagree.

Now wait a minute, nForce2 mobos have 8X AGP, the whole story was about 8X capable mobos and there not being significant gain that justifies choosing one card over the other in this case. I mean of course there wouldn't be a difference otherwise.

Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
2x 256MB Kingston (Hynix chip) PC2100 7 3 3 3 @ 6 2 2 2
GeForce4 Ti4200 ; Antec SX-835II case ; Antec SmartPower SL350

Last edited:
emericanchaos said:
unless you have an 8x agp motherboard you're not going to gain from AGP 8x. so why bother?

i beg to differ on that, from what i have read around and heard even people with 8x motherboards are not finding any difference what so ever, agp 8x is more or less marketting stunt

c62 ahh well i was not aware of those facts or maybe i am just too sleepy lol, in those circumstances than i would suggest going for 128mb one anytime :)

Exactly.
No prob baqai, I'm in Kansas, you really in Karachi?

Oh man, I feel guilty discussing this with all the poverty and suffering you probably see...

Stay safe.. I'd give up all of this if everyone could have a decent life and we could all be safe.

Last edited:
Back