• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is wrong with my puter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Needitcooler

Over the last two days my computer has slowed to a crawl. When I double-click an icon on my desktop it takes up to 5 minutes before anything happens. Also, once I have a program open, it operates really slow. Another thing is that my disk drives are acting up now. My dvd-rom takes like 2 minutes to eject, and my Sony DRU-500a DVD burner keeps locking up when I try to burn a slideshow to DVD. I don't think I have loaded anything strange lately. The only thing I have done is optimized my hard drive with Norton Systemworks 2003. What could be the problem? Is it time for a fresh install?

System specs

Pentium 4 2.2 ghz
256 mb Kingston value ram PC800
Abit TH7-11
Western Digital 120gb 8mb cache special edition
Sony DRU-500a Firmware 1.0f
Liteon 16x dvd-rom
Windows XP pro. SP1

The only thing I have done is optimized my hard drive with Norton Systemworks 2003

There's your problem. If you can undo what that did, you'll pro'lly be better off. All those type of programs do is shuffle everything around, and it can (and usually does) lead to something bad.

I've run into it before on client computers. People install this stuff, thinking it'll make their system faster, when in fact, it slows it to a crawl.

Ahhh. Now the OS thinks my dvd burner is a cd drive. I think it is time for a fresh install. I don't think there is any way to undo what I did with Systemworks. I guess I won't use it again.

Uninstall that Norton garbage (if you can), put the kettle on, and follow a few of these.... LINKY
Blowing my own trumpet

How long was it before your last re-install by the way, it may be time for that if all else fails.

Ah Ha! I have narrowed down my problem. I have noticed that the only programs that take an eternity to load are ones that utilize my Sony DVD burner. All my other programs load up really fast. I guess I will try switching my IDE cables around. I think I have the Sony as a slave right now. Maybe it wants to be master. What could have caused the OS to think my DVD burner is a cd drive now? It used to say DVD-r drive in My computer. I haven't done anything to the firmware lately.

Back