• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

speech recognition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

page as I'm not actually taking this I'm using the Microsoft speech recognition history: but has some problems now it just said history more training sessions possibly needed but it looks like it's working OK I haven't had any of this anyone had experience or suggestions would be staying unmanned with this main in the war in the last seven words

ARG this thign needs work!! now im typnig. to contact how have you guys done with this windows speech thingy in the past?

Not very well, despite the fact that I have a really good mic, no accent (well okay Canadian accent), and I've gone through all the stupid training excercises. It still doesn't get anything right, and it's really slow at figuring out what I'm trying to say

I gave up on the speech recognition thing a while ago because at present it just isn't practical. I tried a variety of packages including some MS based stuff, Dragon Naturally Speaking and some java based modules. One tip that is paramount if you want a reliable dictation is to invest in a really good headset microphone - it makes all the difference in the world to reliability.

I believe that the main problem with software based speech recognition is that with current systems you cannot perform enough DSP (digital signal processing) to accurately determine what someone has said. There is a new breed of motherboards coming out/available that include speech recognition hardware, and this, supposedly, brings the feature to more practical levels.

Still, to be honest I wouldn't spend too much time trying to get it trained to perfection - for now perfect speech recognition it is still a pipe dream, or at least out of the price range of us mere mortals :)

allright well. some us may live to see it, yet I do agree, the technology is nowhere near perfect yet. you saw above my attempts to use it. BTW I'm typing right now. at least it can spell better than I can lol.

Back