• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP - 8 in 1 Corporate Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIG-O-2

Has anyone heard of this and what is it??? My sister is in collage and heard of this copy and it is like 8 different versions on one disk I guess? Is it worth more than a XP Pro disk?? Are there any perks with this edition??

I never heard of a Corporate Edtion??

This topic is a no-no. Those type of compliation CDs are usually either one of two things: made specifically for Microsoft for corporate deployment, or pirated disks. I'm leaning towards option two in this case.

I just had never heard of such a disk. This is the only place I know to come for answers. I thought maybe I missed somethng on this release?

Corporate Edition is just like it sounds. Companies buy the OS with licenses so just so many computers.

I see and the software is the same? I thought maybe I had found some new version. Oh well, thanks for the input.

The corporate editions are all about licensing. They generally contain no differences (software-wise, that is). Corporate Edition is for companies with many (hundreds) computers. Buying a seperate version for each computer is extremely expensive, while buying a license is less (when you're buying that volume, that is). It's not meant for individual users, and that's basically why it's not talked about here, because nobody here needs it.

Z

Excelsior said:
8 in 1 has different versions of windows XP

1) Home
2) Home SP-1
3) Professional
4) Professional SP-1

etc like that....don't got for it...as it is illegal

Are you certain about this? I've never heard of "8 in 1" anything from MS (offically, anyway).

You just listed 4 options, I can think of two more:
5) Professional Corporate
6) Professional Corporate SP-1

What would be #7 and #8?

"8 in 1" sounds more like a version of Office that has 8 applications(?)

Word, Access, Excell, Outlook, PowerPoint, FrontPage... But again, that's only 6 applications. Though, I have heard that there may be an upcoming version of Office that includes Visio. (I'm up to 7--what would the eighth app be?)

the 8-in1 disk is a pirate copy...it contains the following:

1: Windows XP Professional Edition, MSDN Volume License Version
2: Activated Windows XP Home Edition, OEM Version, WPA-Patched
3: Final-Patched Windows XP Professional Edition, OEM Version
4: Final-Patched Windows XP Home Edition, OEM Version
5: Untouched Windows XP Professional Edition, OEM-DELL Version
6: Untouched Windows XP Home Edition, OEM Version
7: Untouched Windows XP Professional Edition, Retail Version
8: Untouched Windows XP Home Edition Edition, Retail Version

So no, it shouldnt be discussed here.

No way, I will tell my sister to stay away from that.

Thanks for the info, I too had never heard of such a disk till the other day in talking to her about her upgrade problems, with a new mobo I got her.

Excelsior said:
Wait...i thought it was only a illegal if u used a pirate cd-key...if u bought a orginal cd-key and use it on these 8 in 1....woulden that me legal???

"Hello, Microsoft? I have a pirate CD with 8 versions of Windows XP here. Can I buy a licence key to install them on my OS?"

"Please hold the line a moment Sir....."

Then listen for choppers as the MS Gestapo comes to get you:)

Basically no. Not legal.

I can think of anothe version of XP too......XP Media Edition!

XP Media Edition??? i have never heard about that one infact i had only heard about home and proffesional just came to know about the coroperate one :rolleyes:

reddeathdrinker said:

"Hello, Microsoft? I have a pirate CD with 8 versions of Windows XP here. Can I buy a licence key to install them on my OS?"

"Please hold the line a moment Sir....."

Then listen for choppers as the MS Gestapo comes to get you:)

Basically no. Not legal.

I can think of anothe version of XP too......XP Media Edition!

Actually, that WOULD be legal. Microsoft would gladly take your money for the key. In fact, they already have a program for those who want to load XP on a second (or third, etc.) machine where you give them your credit card number and they sell you licenses with no media much cheaper than you would a retail version (well, maybe not THAT much cheaper). Remember, you can only run (a non-hacked) version of XP on your machine for 30 days without activating with a valid key.

They key/ license that you purchase would only work on the version that you paid for, though (i.e. if you pay for a home key, it will only work on the home version).

XP Media Edition has only been offered to OEM's that are selling convergence machines (like Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway--and even Alienware). I don't think it's available as an off-the-shelf part (yet).

we really ought to stop this some time soon here before a Mod comes in a nd yells =P

Media Edition or what4ever is just one that is designed to make your computer your home theater where you basicly hook it up to you TV and stereo and can do everything you would with a normal TV stereo DVD VCR set up... of course you would have to have DVD TV tuner etc to have it do all that for you but that is basicly it...

Well I didn't mean to start a long thread just a simple question and I did contact a mod, so if the thread poofs out of sight it is because it was not supposed to be talked about. I do thank everyone for the info, my sister did find out it is a pirate copy and no one knows where it came from. I find it very interesting because I new mister Gates couldn't keep the monsters from getting arround his system. You know I have had a copy of windows as long as I can remember and I never once used the tech support line. I should call and ask how to hook my 386 win3.11 machine to my network just for fun to see if anyone at Microsoft still has heard of the win 3.11 edition.

baqai said:
XP Media Edition??? i have never heard about that one infact i had only heard about home and proffesional just came to know about the coroperate one :rolleyes:

yeah, windows xp media edition is a newer version of xp that allows you to control your computer with a remote making your computer a little "media center", if you will :D it's basically a load of crap imho. i have seen oem computers in stores being offered with winxp media.

as for the 8 in 1, it's extremely highly unlikely that anybody would own the exact same versions of xp :rolleyes:

so i would suggest that everybody stay away from that 8 in 1 disc. it's definitely a no-no...

mbigna said:

Are you certain about this? I've never heard of "8 in 1" anything from MS (offically, anyway).

You just listed 4 options, I can think of two more:
5) Professional Corporate
6) Professional Corporate SP-1

What would be #7 and #8?

7 is Windows Media Center and since MS only allows that to be sold on certified machines I would guess that the 8 in 1 copy is illegal:(

mbigna said:
Actually, that WOULD be legal.

Actually, it wouldn't be. Let's not skew the facts here.

When you go to the store and purchase a copy of Windows XP, you're purchasing two things: 1) The licence for the OS and 2) The OS itself. You have to buy them as a package.

Now, it is possible to get copies of XP w/o licences (there was a thread on this the other day), and it is possible to purchase more licences than you originally bought, but that doesn't mean I can head onto Kazaa and d/l the OS, and just buy a licence for it. That's still illegal.

Back