• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet Another Voltage Mod question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blaksplash

i have searched this forum and googled but i have not found the answer to this question: How do i do the voltage pin mod on a socket 478 celeron 1.7g based on the Willamette core. I read that that the VID pins are that same as that Northwood's but the default voltage is different - the celeron is 1.7v but the Northwoods is 1.5v. Anyone know the voltages for the celeron for the VID pins?

First off, the socket 478 1.7 P-4 and socket 478 1.7 Celeron are both based on the Willamette core and default voltage is 1.75v for both... not 1.7v as stated in your post. This is important, because you have to absolutely know what the original default voltage is before you can figure out what VID pins are intenally connected and which ones to wire together in order to get your desired modified voltage. Let me do some research and I'll post back the answer in a couple of minutes.

Ok... this is actually quite simple. Socket 478 CPUs with a factory vcore default of 1.75v have all the VID pins except VID2 internally connected. This means there is only one VID pin wire wrapping option possible. Connect VID2 to any of the other VID pins (like either VID3 or VID1) for a modified default of 1.85v. The easiest way to do this might be dropping a little "U" shaped wire into the socket holes. Or, you could connect VID2, VID3, and VID4 all together if you want to actually wire wrap them.

duh, i guess if i'd thought about it for a second rather than search for the answer i would have gotten it.
Cool thanks
I thought the celeron 1.7g was 1.7v because the bios reports 1.68v which is a good bit off of 1.75 - no wonder i can't get past 2.07...

i dropped a u shaped peice of wire in there between VID3 and VID2 with some tweezers... and it worked
now the voltage is reported as 1.76v - this got me a few more Mhz
now i'm @ 126fsb = 2142 or 2.14G reported by the bios. anything above that locks after about 15 minutes of divx compression
not too bad for a little SFF Shuttle SS51G
I just wish it was closer to 1.85v...

is there anyway to bump it a little higher?

Your mobo obviously undervolts. My Abit mobo does that too. Looks like you're done. I must admit that's an exceptional overclock for a willamette CPU. Anything above 2.0 is great. Not many of them will go above 2.1 gig. Congrats! If you really want to go faster, sell your CPU and get a Northwood.

Back