• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UV lights, good or bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIB

Now i know that these uv lights(blacklights, colored lights, etc.) make your case look really cool. I am looking to do some sort of lighting in my new computer when i get enough money. But i have heard people say that having these lights in your case can harm the harddrive and you may get corrupt data. I am just wondering if this has some truth to it or is it prefectly safe to use the uv lights.

i think it would onyl be harfmful if you put them both on the same power connector. i had 3 lights on the same power lead then that went to my hd i got excited and started flickig the lights on and off and then my comp froze put them on their own lead ...no more problems .

The only influence that UV light has is to old EPROMs, UV light is used to erase the data on 'em.
I don't think your mobo is that old to have one of 'em on ;)

Well, also with lots of strong UV, your plastic material will break down faster, like in 10 years instead of 15-20.
Other lights could only heat your case (use cold cathode light only), and if the bit of electronic that comes with it is poorly made, you could get some EMI that might disturb your audio / video.

A.

Last edited:
hehe. I have the same problem when I turn my lights on and off. It caused my HDD to shut off and my computer to lock up. Yes, they're on the same rail. Yes, I need to redo my wiring scheme. I unsoldered all the extra wires in my PSU, only now it looks like I'm going to need to add one of them back in. No big deal though. Gonna have to buy a new iron first. My friend was over yesterday and apparently one of her kids plugged the iron in and then it got pulled off the table and onto the carpet, burned several big spots into it. Ouch. There goes my security deposit. *sigh*

Back