• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Alter-clocking"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eobard

Give me a break Senior
First let me preface this by saying I ask this question only out of curiosity, I'm not trying to justify any actions nor am I suggesting anything to anyone else, I'd just like to know what people think and why. So here's the Question:

Does "Alter-clocking" a processor void it's warranty?

By "alter-clocking" I mean changing the processor's settings without overclocking. Ie: If someone has a Athlon 1gig that runs 100FSB X 10.0 multiple and that person changes the settings to 133FSB X 7.5 multiple. The total is still 1gig so the chip isn't overclocked, but it's no longer running at factory spec.

So, what do you think? Does that void a warranty or not? And has anyone ever nuked a chip by changing the settings in such a manner? (All this presumes that the voltages are kept at stock, the only thing being changed are the FSB and multiple.)

i wouldnt of thought so, no. At least, not on the athlon t/bred's and bartons. Since they are already unlocked from factory, it wouldnt be right if changing something, which AMD ARE allowing, would viod your warrentie.
On the pally's, well thats a different story. since they are hardware locked, unlocking them would instantly void your warrentie anyway, regardless of weather you actually change the multi's or not.

At least, thats MY take on it......

If you have to change the chip, ie closing the bridges, then you have voided the warrentee. If the bridges came closed from the factory....we would have to look at the documentation and see how it is worded.

For the record, here are the relevant paragraphs from the AMD warranty for products in a box.

This limited warranty does not cover damages due to external causes, including improper use, problems with electrical power, accident, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing.

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Ok, does changing the settings qualify as an "external cause"? I do not think I would consider it an "alteration".

Well what do you know, a real computer related debate.

By the way, a careful reading of that first paragraph does not show that closing the bridges on a chip voids the warranty. It only says that damages caused by such alterations are not covered.

Well, either "Improper use", "Improper installation" or both could be applied. But if you buy an Athlon 1.2gig OEM chip, which are unlocked from the factory, and it doesn't come with anything on the chip itself telling you what settings to use to achieve the 1.2gig speed, could you then use it at whatever arrangement you want so long as the total speed is exactly 1.2gig?

Ridenow said:

Well what do you know, a real computer related debate.
WOO-HOO! Do I win something????? :D Squeaky cat toy?

I interpret the quoted sentences as meaning that altering anything about the chip from it's original and intended state, and damage resulting from that change would not be covered.

So I would expect that any change of the fsb and multi from it's rated settings and resulting damage would not be covered. Then, I would also expect that running the chip at the same speed but different settings would not be covered.

That isn't completely clear from the wording, but if AMD was aware that the settings were not stock settings, then I would expect that they would interpret the wordings more to the company's benefit than to that of the customer's.

That's my take.

I.M.O.G. said:
I interpret the quoted sentences as meaning that altering anything about the chip from it's original and intended state, and damage resulting from that change would not be covered.

So I would expect that any change of the fsb and multi from it's rated settings and resulting damage would not be covered. Then, I would also expect that running the chip at the same speed but different settings would not be covered.

That's my take.
That is a good way of looking at it but what if you lowered the FSB but didn't change the multiple? Then you'd be underclocking the chip, putting it under a lesser demand that it is rated and warrantied for, yet you'd be voiding the warranty none the less. Now I think we'd all agree that it's really unlikely that running a system underclocked is going to damage anything but I suppose anything's possible, even if extreemly unlikely. Of course I can think of one thing that might cause an underclocked, and even undervolted, AMD CPU to fail....

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

....because we all know just how terrefic those stock AMD sinks really are!!!! :rolleyes:

i think it would void the warranty, or at least should. lets take an extreme example to demonstrate what i mean. i am aware that no mobo/ram would let you do this, but please stay with me for the purpose of argument. if you could lower your multiplier to 0.5 and raise your fsb to 2000, you would probably dammage the chip, if it ran at all. just because a fsb of 133 does not do dammage the way a fsb of 1000 would, that does not mean that it wont stress the chip just a little more than 100 would, even if there are chips that run stock at 100. it is possible that the chip rated for 100fsb did not work at 133fsb, and that is why it was marked as a 100. it is also possible that there is a flaw in the chip that would allow it to work at 100fsb for 10 years but will result in it dying after 1 month at 133. although these are extreme examples, i think they show how an fsb increase could cause problems even if the core speed stays the same.

Loud said:
So ... using a non-AMD heatsink voids my warranty?! :eek:

Is there a valid warranty in the house then? Honestly? :D

Yes, Tigger, my Dual Morgan 1.3 server is currently using the stock heatsinks.

The problem is that William had it and you do not want to know what he did with those processors and AS2:eek: He is going to be razzed for that as long as he lives :p

Seriously, does anyone on this board actually have a valid warranty? I don't, according to this.

Oh well.

It would seem that only those with OEM chips that haven't been modified and aren't being run out of spec are still covered. It's pretty hard to stick with the sink that came with your chip if you didn't get a sink with your chip.

eobard said:

WOO-HOO! Do I win something????? :D Squeaky cat toy?

Here you go:

00853.jpg

On a more serious note, since the warranty specifically states:
This limited warranty does not cover damages due to external causes, including improper use, problems with electrical power, accident, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing.

Does it even matter until you do something stupid and fry the chip?

My view is that if it is changed at all to something other than what it was originally designed for, the warranty is voided. If that means raising the FSB and dropping the multiplier- then that is a voided warranty IMO.

In warranties with cars, if you were to add a turbo to increase HP in a car- that is voiding the warranty. Even if you reduce the amount of air coming into the engine (pointless- but just for an example) so that the horsepower would be equal to that of a stock engine, you are still voiding the warranty.

Changing the fsb and multiplier settings on a processor should be voiding the warranty. Even if the end result is a "stock" speed, you are still making modifications to the speed of that processor.

If something goes wrong with the chip, and you changed its stock settings, it should be void. ANYTHING that happens to that chip, whether related to the overclock or not, your warranty is no longer valid.

Same goes with the car. If your cars windshild wiper motors fry- even though it has no relation to the turbo, your warranty is bye bye.

Just my opinion :).

Back