• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aluminum Or Plastic?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depend what you like~!

Al is "the fashion" at this time.

Plastic face/steel case serves you just as good.

I say what kind depends on how much you plan to overclock and how you want the setup...you can't just say Al or plastic face/steel...
How and where do you want your fans set up? At least how many fans do you want to support? Do you want a top blowhole? How many internal 3.5" drive bays are you going to need? How many external? How many 5.25" drive bays? Do you want a mini-, mid-, or full-tower? Etc.
I'm sure you probably know this, but to me it's all features whether you choose Al or not...Although Al cases are said to be much lighter than regular ones. Just my .02

Soy

One maker of plastic cases says that their cases are only for demonstration purposes and that no computer should be run inside them unattended. Could it be because regular acrylic is highly flammable? I read that many electrical devices have been required to be made of fire resistant plastics because of the fire hazard.

When is somebody going to start selling titanium cases? I read that you can corrode titanium with a laundry marker because of the chlorine in the ink, not that plan on doing that. ;)

Get the alum! I love my coolermaster, and lian li's are awesome two but I'm sure if your tight on the old budget I'm sure there's a halfway decent aluminum one out there.

i've got a lian-li and its real perty. i love it. its light and really sturdy. it was pretty expensive but it had a nifty window

larrymoencurly said:
When is somebody going to start selling titanium cases? I read that you can corrode titanium with a laundry marker because of the chlorine in the ink, not that plan on doing that. ;)

Even with the opening of the Russian market and the subsequent free-fall in ti prices, don't hold your breath waiting for a titanium computer case.

Titanium is only cheap if you compare the price to what it used to cost. A metric tonne of aluminum alloy stock goes for about $1,500 on the metals market. The price for a tonne of unrefined titanium "sponge" ore is almost $10,000. Titanium is also much, much more difficult to work with in manufacturing. Even something simple like a computer case would require using different and more expensive manufacturing techniques.

I don't know about the laundry marker, but I do know if you are working with a stressed titanium component you need to use cadium-plated tools. Chrome reacts with ti and makes it brittle. Using your trusty Craftsman tools can lead to a catastrophic failure of your component.

BHD

I don't know about plastic cases, but I would recommend the Chieftec aluminum cases. They're light (in weight), come in great colors, they have tons of space, are well built, and look kewl. Best of all, they are VERY inexpensive compared to the Lian Li and other "premium" aluminum cases. I have 2 of them with cold cathode tubes in them and they look great.

Unless you need a lightweight case, there is no real reason to buy aluminum imho.

Want looks? There are plenty of great looking steel cases.
Want durability? Well duh.
Want moddability? It's called a dremel. It's your friend.

Aluminum cases cost too damn much. The cheaper lian li's (the minitowers) are frigging minitower POS's that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. And they STILL cost 100$+. It's just stupid. And the cheap aluminum's (skyhawk) are missing features that even the cheapest steel cases have.

Why would you need a titanium case anyways? Titanium is heavier than alu and the alu is pretty much stronger enough to handle and reasonablely sane thing you can do with a case. Titanium is more for extremely high heat and pressure situtions. (ex: race car pistons, etc.) Why people are so hung up on the using titanium for normal everyday uses that other metals can do just as good if not better is beyond me. Then again Titanium is a cool sounding name :)

Has anyone ever made a case out of copper? I suppose that would not be the rig you'd take to LAN parties but it would definitely be a conversation piece.

Lithan said:
Unless you need a lightweight case, there is no real reason to buy aluminum imho....Want looks? There are plenty of great looking steel cases....
I agree. I have a steel Chieftec too. There have been comments that aluminum cases are cooler inside compared to steel, but my aluminum and steel Chieftecs running side-by-side have the same internal temp (they have good airflow). The only difference is weight, durability, and cost. The steel ones are MUCH heavier, but they are also sturdier, cost less, and seem slightly quieter. IMO, they look better than Lian Li's too.

Why would you need a titanium case anyways?

Especially when there are much cheaper ways to overcompensate, such as by leaving a package of Magnum XL condoms on top of a plain steel case.

i like the looks of lian li 601 case but damn...the price is so expensive ...i can;t believe that the temp diffeance is that much to justify the price differance i bought a good enermax and my budddys old junk case...i;ll cut it up at least or just move this case along when i need to upgrade

i hate the cheap aluminum cases out there they are a dime a dozen and they:re not interesting looking at all i like lian lis cuz they;re clean looking and they have features...it;s lian li cooler master or junk in my opinion...

The temp difference isn't worth the extra money to get a Lian Li or Cooler Master. If you're going to spend that kind of jack on a case, do it because you love the styling, appreciate the quality and don't mind investing in something that will carry you through several overhauls of the working parts.

The Chieftec is a well designed case, and it is my first recommendation for anyone looking for a budget setup. But one of the downsides of being so good and inexpensive is that everybody and their brother has one. For some that's not an issue, but its too close to the Dell Syndrome for my comfort.

BHD
Cooler Master ATC-110 Owner

BaldHeadedDork said:
...But one of the downsides of being so good and inexpensive is that everybody and their brother has one...
Is this really an issue to most people? I mean, would you haul a full tower to a LAN party? Are your friends gonna laugh at you? More importantly, why would you care what others think? For perspective, my blue Chieftec aluminum case has a red cold cathode tube -- it's very cool looking turned off, and even better turned on. Even my buddy who has overclocked and/or overhauled, literally, hundreds of systems thinks it looks cool. Frankly, I'd take the money for the Lian Li case and use it for a DVD burner, a better CPU, or something I really want for my system that is functional.

XL condoms are just stupid. Condoms are made to stretch. People have stretched regular condoms and worn them as hats. (Most likely very drunken people).

Back