• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP2100+ Getting Slower.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeverAskAgain

I build my computer about 2 weeks ago. After the second day of setting up, after burn-in, I started overclocking her(see below). My Sandra CPU scores have dropped about 50-60 points since then. Why is this?

NeverAskAgain said:
I build my computer about 2 weeks ago. After the second day of setting up, after burn-in, I started overclocking her(see below). My Sandra CPU scores have dropped about 50-60 points since then. Why is this?

What you mean by getting slower???
Are you comparing the score at stock speed??? Cause o/ced cpu should/must be faster. If you o/ced and change it back to stock to compare, i would say its just a flaw of the proggy, as you may know even you running the benchmark 2 consecutive times the score wont be the same. 50-60/5000-6000 <0.01 so never mind it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't changed it back to stock speed, still running at 180x12. I have installed new programs and games, but wouldn't Sandra scores be indepedent of that since I'm only benchmarking the CPU. I know that it's only 50-60 points, that is the average after running it like 5x times, but I just want to make sure it doesn't decline on a weekly/monthly basis.

Korndog said:
you install more stuff, your computer gets slower..
thats my guess..

I dont believe installing stuff on your computer has anything to do with sandra scores, unless you are doing file system or something with hard drive, because when you do cpu and ram tests it doesnt even touch the hard drive really.

Sandra's CPU Arithmetic benchmark is dependent on what system services and programs are running at the time. Just to show you a brief example, I ran the arithmetic benchmark on my P4 at stock (2ghz) first with Winamp running and it scored 5188. I shut off Winamp and it went up to 5286. Difference, eh? So yes, installing stuff leads to running services, which leads to lower scores.

Just an update. I reinstalled my machine and just installed SiSoft Sandra. After running the Sandra CPU benchmark I was able to get my original scores back. Conclusion, I guess a few programs like MS Office and ZoneAlarm was enough to able to bring my score down 50-60 points.

Back