• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

STRANGE problems with Pentium4 3.06GHz...Including SETI Bench...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hipro5

Well I DO have some problems with my Pentium4 3.06GHz....

Firstlly my seti-spy doesn't work any more.....Does anyone knows how to make it work with my P4 3.06GHz..????....When I open it it just stays on the taskbar and........nothing.......

Secondly.....I get "weird" resaults as for SETI Bench.....

Take a look at an old bench with my P4 2.66GHz(or 2.8GHz).......

SETI_bench_3420_png.png

Now take a look at the SAME frequency BUT with the 2.4bGHz and with ASUS P4G8X Deluxe(Dual DDR).....

Setibench3420DDDR_png.png

As you can see DUAL DDR Mobo is FASTER than my old Mobo......The difference is about 7 min LESS time.......

Now the same think BUT with higher frequency........

My old Mobo.......

SETI_bench_3571_png.png

.....and my new DUAL DDR Mobo......

Setibench3565DDDR_png.png

Again almost the same frequency BUT almost 6 min LESS time.......

Now this SETI bench is with my Pentium4 2.4bGHz at 3635MHz.......

Setibench3635DDDR_png.png

OK.....ABOUT 80MHz more and 4 min LESS time.......HUGE Memory bandwidth........

Last edited:
The STRANGE think is when I bench with my Pentium4 3.06GHz at 4000GHz I get ONLY 1 min LESS than at 3635MHz........ALMOST more than over 350MHz........You could say ... yes but what about memory bandwidth???.....Less Memory bandwidth off caurce BUT over 4350Mb/s......

Take a look at SETI bench at 4000GHz......

Setibench4000DDDR_png.png

ONLY JUST 1min LESS than 3635MHz.......What the f*** is going on here????.......

...........and FINALLY my last SETI Bench at 4119MHz.......

SETI_1_50.png

So......what is going on here????......Do you guys have an opinion about that or shall I through them all out????.....

Last edited:
Where are the bench data that you're referring to? I don't see anything in the postings and I don't see it on the benchmark page.

George, first, we can't see any pics that you've posted?! :confused:

but i assuming/guessing your 3.06@4GHz is only running at around mid-170MHz FSB (memory speed), on the other hand, a 2.4 @ 3.6GHz is 200+MHz!! now that's 30MHz of dual channel DDR speed sacrifice!!

and remember, No.1 issue for SETI is memory bandwidth!! however, i agree w/ you and still don't think that would not adjust w/ 350MHz of CPU speed......??!! :confused: may be SETI is way more memory bandwidth intensive than we thought....?? :rolleyes:

LandShark said:
George, first, we can't see any pics that you've posted?! :confused:

but i assuming/guessing your 3.06@4GHz is only running at around mid-170MHz FSB (memory speed), on the other hand, a 2.4 @ 3.6GHz is 200+MHz!! now that's 30MHz of dual channel DDR speed sacrifice!!

and remember, No.1 issue for SETI is memory bandwidth!! however, i agree w/ you and still don't think that would not adjust w/ 350MHz of CPU speed......??!! :confused: may be SETI is way more memory bandwidth intensive than we thought....?? :rolleyes:

Yes Gary, SETI WANTS More Memory Bandwidth BUT according to my calculations IF I ran the same CPU with another Mobo,then the memory Bandwidth would be about 4350Mb/s IF the multi was LESS than x 23 .....So that's EXACTLY the memory bandwidth I have right now.....BUT NO GOOD.......

......and do you have an opinion about seti-spy for not working at all????.....Thanks.....

I haven't gotten a vapochill yet, so I can't run any tests at those speeds. I don't use Seti Spy either, so I can't comment on that. Seems to me that something is strange. Did you run those test with or without HT?

TC said:
I haven't gotten a vapochill yet, so I can't run any tests at those speeds. I don't use Seti Spy either, so I can't comment on that. Seems to me that something is strange. Did you run those test with or without HT?

I ran them WITH and WITHOUT HT ......WITH HT takes MORE time to complete the WU than WITHOUT HT.....Even if I check the CPU Affinity SAME THING....Better is WITHOUT the HT......BUT the CPU is WARMER without the HT.....and NOT only on my ASUS P4G8X but and on my ABIT IT7-Max2 too.......STRANGE...!!!....

I used to have strange problems with Setispy. I still don't know if it's because of Windows XP or the higher overclocks that i do once in awhile to gain some faster wu finishing time.
My problems were:
#1 once in a while i had to click on the setispy icon multiple times before it would actually start because windows xp produced a error that would shut it down imediately
#2 once in a great while the progress meter would either stop or read no progress but setidriver showed an increase in % and results were being returned.

Well i for one only run setidriver now.

I hope you figure out why the 3.06 @ 4.0 isn't giving good results and those pics are up soon so these guys can see and help.

That's strange because my 3.06 runs much warmer with HT on, and has behaved that way with 2 different boards.

Didn't see if any touched on it, for some reason IE (dunno about other browsers) is weird on displaying PNG files on a webpage, just right click and copy/paste the addy into the addy bar.

@hipro5
Try gifs/jpgs next time :)

yep the pics do work when i copied the links and pasted then loaded them seperate in IE.

At least you broke the 2 hour mark a few times and the last one seems good for a second place in the seti bench @ 1.83 hours. Kinda sucks for the P4 though.

got your benchie entries George.

well, i've just up my new machine (still working on it)'s clock speed last night. a 2.4B @ 2988MHz @ 1.5v. up it to 3100MHz last night. and it seems like 100Mhz (plus memory speed) worth me about 2-4mins (max.5mins) of WU time!!

now caculate this way, 300MHz increased, it should worth about 8-10mins time; however, minus the memory speed decrease (say it minus about 100Mhz of clock speed), it end up to about 6mins worth of time with you 4GHz setting compare to the 3.6GHz setting......

just my little thought......:rolleyes:

yeah, Phoenix, i too have a feeling that Northwood is about to get MAX'ed out (by us, especially Hipro5! :D )!! unless extreme cooling like phrase change, more ordinary cooling (air even water), it seems that the Northwood is max out at around 3.6GHz range now....... it doesn't scale up anymore than that......unless with a Promei, but even with it, still not that much. 4GHz max.

on the other hand, TbredB & Barton have quite a good headroom on them. water easily to 2.4-2.6GHz, Promei could get it to up to 2.8GHz!! that's..............well, i don't know what kinda PR rating will them be.......

guess we'll need Prescott eariler than later!!!

Photos are UP(I think)..........How do you see them????

I think that the new Mobos with the new Intel chipsets(200 fsb) WILL DO THE JOB with the P4 3.06GHz......ONLY IF them CAN work with dividers......ex. IF I put the fsb at 179MHz witch is 179 x 23 = 4417MHz for benching.......and the memory SHOULD BE 5/4 or 179 x 5 / 4 = 223MHz.......SO we are talking about HUGE memory bandwidth......It will be about 5400Mb/s to 5600Mb/s........THAT'S for SETI THE BEST.......I'll wait........ :D

LandShark said:
ah, Phoenix, i too have a feeling that Northwood is about to get MAX'ed out (by us, especially Hipro5! :D )!! unless extreme cooling like phrase change, more ordinary cooling (air even water), it seems that the Northwood is max out at around 3.6GHz range now....... it doesn't scale up anymore than that......unless with a Promei, but even with it, still not that much. 4GHz max.

This is a new kind of cooling, Gary? :confused:

I really would like to see a cooling water rig performance against a water cooling setup ;) :p ;)

Last edited:
Mictlan said:

This is a ny kind of cooling, Gary? :confused:

I really would like to see a cooling water rig performance against a water cooling setup ;) ;P ;)

A GOOD Pentium4 2.4bGHz Can WORK at about 3400MHz with decent air cooling like Swiftech MCX478 or something equal to it or even better......That's the rig I have at home.....P4 2.4bGHz @ 3420MHz with Swiftech MCX478 and a Delta fan at 1.675VCore......With water can easy work at about 3500MHz...... ;)

Back