• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Much Needed Sticky!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stopdrpnro

after breaking two uv lights from cooler guys i think that we need a sticky in which the quality of ccfl are discussed/displyed. along with the 2 uv lights i also got a red ccfl from cooler guys which is an awful pink color ...

sorry it was not xoxide i repeat not xoxide, but cooler guys

cooler guys ccfl get =3/10 : bad color, fragile, uv lights don't emit much uv(they aren't supposed to be bright but these had to be like 2 inchs from the uv paint to make it glow ) and inverters get uncomfrotably hot. not recomend

..ok guys keep it going

Last edited:
if not that at least somehitng that explains what the specs mean , me being a crack head didn't realize that teh uv's forom svc are twice as bright and last twice as long as the 1's from cooler guys.

CCFL

Hey everyone. I have roughly 8 CCFL's. I have tried 2 brands. Sunbeam (revision one and two) and SVC.

I will suggest avoiding Revision one CCFL from Sunbeam. They come in a white box, and velco covored invertors.All sunbeams have square acrylic ends on them, and color strips down the tube. Compared to their new dual "boxed" invertor, and brightness of their new bulbs I have to say the old ones are not worth it. Also I have had an issue with them getting warm enough to heat the hot glue, or whatever substance it is that they keep the bulb in the tube with, and then sliding out exposing the bare bulb.
I give sunbeams a 5/10.

SVC (www.svcompucycle.com) CCFL were very impressive though. I just ordered them because they were so cheap and I had a couple bucks to spend. You can't beat $4 for bulbs, and $10 for a bulb and invertor. Single color bulbs come with colored acrylic tubes, not clear.(which is the only thing I didn't like about this kit) Multi-color come with clear tubes though. I have blue, blue/green, and red. The blue was brighter or as bright as any other blue ccfl I have seen. The green on the blue/green was overwhelming though. Its just simply amazing. Unfortunately its a lot brighter then the blue, or red. So it pretty much washes them out. They come with a boxed invertor that you can run dual CCFL. Overall, this kit rocks. Awesome quality, super bright lights, rich color, and they are nice for people looking for low cost yet high class appearance. A definate 9/10

All the kits I have received all have come with velcro mounting equipment, and fairly long switches for the invertors. None of which are long enough for my Lian Li PC 7X case. Any questions, feel free to e-mail me at.... [email protected]

John Rex

I got a dual kit from www.xoxide.com

Aside from some ordering difficulties I had, the CCFLs work great.

The only bad thing I have to say about them is that the wires are WAY too short. I have a blue cathode at the bottom of my case, and a green cathode at the top. In order to run them both off the inverter, I had to mount the inverter right above my hard drive. I could have mounted it outside of my drive cage, but I didn't want to run it without having a fan on it.

The price was a little spendy, but not that bad. For the two it cost me $30 (first one for 19.99, and added a second one for 11.99 more). That included a dual inverter, a round rocker switch, and two complete CCFLs. They're much cheaper right now. I think it's 15.99 for one, and then 7.99 to add a second light.

I give the xoxide CCFLs an 7/10.

Last edited:
I bought a set of blue ones from CompUsa a few months ago and have been really happy with them. They are really bright and look good in my case.

Mine is from PCMods.com. It's pretty good. It takes a while to get bright (almost like it has to warm up) but after that, it's all good. It doesn't get too hot, just mildly warm. The inverter and tube came w/ velcro tabs to hold it in place, and it plugged in easy. It was pre-assembled.

8/10 :D

I like the pctoys one i got from somewhere...forgot the site but they had the Vantec controlled fans for buy 2 get 1 free (5.99 a fan i think)

And i got it for $8, and tis somewhat bright, but it works for my case

bg_case-1.jpg

It just seems to only be bright in its area, which may be because of the somewhat tight area mine is in....but even when it was on the bottom it still seemed as tho it could be brighter.....
Price: 9/10
Brightness:8/10
Simplicity (it came pre-setup and w/velcro)10/10

hey, guys.

I have a blue CCFL from heatsinkfactory.com

The tube has colored stripes on it, acrylic boxed ends. Dual inverter, but it's of the velcro-wrapped type. Came with a nice rocker switch, and plenty of velcro tabs for mounting.

overall, I was quite pleased.

Back