• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

true power 480 low line readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
just got this puppy today and its reading low on every line. i know it doesnt mean they really are low but they look worse than the psu that it replaced.
3.3v-3.25
5v-4.89
12v -11.67
and im getting some fluctuation too. +-.06
its quiet as hell but id rather have steady as hell.also i dont want to adjust the pots and kill the warrenty.hell i never get a warrenty that lasts over 2 days and its getting old.

what should i do? put a multi meter on it? and if i do how?i have a digi meter i bought for mobo mods so im good to go.

ok i did some more reaserch on how to do this and its just giving me more questions.
i tested the psu rails and the 5v and 12v rails are above spec.
but i also tested the center pins on my mosfets which hoot says is for the 5v rail.im kinda think it might not be the case on my abit nf7 as it draws from the 12v line for mobo stuff more than the 5v line.
anyhow on a few of the mosfets im reading what mbm says 11.67v
so im guessing its still the mobo? but why did the other crappy psu have better looking lines? even tho it fluctuated and i know thats bad.

Your voltages, when read on the motherboard, will naturally be lower than when read right out of the PSU. That is due in part to small amounts of resistance in the cable from the PSU to the ATX connector, greater resistance in the pin mating surfaces across the ATX connector and lastly, a small amount of resistance going from the board side of the ATX connector to the component where the voltage is read. Though this discrepancy is most often more pronounced on the +5V line due to its large current consumption, it can also be seen, to a lesser degree, on the +12 and +3.3V lines. The corrective action detailed in the sticky "Why is my 5V so low?", not only applies to the +5 circuitry, but also the +12 and +3.3V lines.

Hoot

ty hoot for the input.believe it or not i swear ive read that sticky 12 times now mabey more.from the past i should say.

i dont think i have any options of fixing this without modding the mobo or psu and i dont want to mod either.
i think in one part its suggested about cleaning the conttacts but im not sure guess i need reread number 13.

but as i did say the psu is giving the correct output.so mabey the problem is dirty contacts.i use the old psu which had better lines as referance.

i have a true blue 480 same thing

same thing for me, my 12v says 11.71-11.77v on the 12, wouldnt power my old 8rda+ but that board had problems so it probably wasn't my PS, anyways i don't even know if the 480 has pot's in it. But i'm happy with mine i don't see why you should have to mod anything, im sure your system will run just fine, even overclocked, enermax might be a different story, but antec arn't enermax. PS i know this thread is old, i just want you to know that the 480's from personally experience, run a tad bit lower but not much.

Back