• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

miscellaneous ram questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daga5831

(you can check out the system i'm planning to build here)

in previous posts in the above thread, i've said that i was going with 2x 512MB sticks of samsung. i'm wondering how much of a difference i would get if i decided to go with corsair dual channel.

also, (since corsair is so much more expensive *shudder*) i was thinking that i should maybe reduce the amount of ram. does anybody think that the 512MB dual channel (2x 256MB) is enough? or should i spend a couple hundred more, and get the 1024MB (2x 512MB)?

NOTE: at vibe the 1024MB dual channel is $575...the 512MB dual is $340 (these are in Canadian $$$, eh?) the above mentioned samsung is only $123 / 512MB stick.

NOTE 2: all ram i've mentioned is PC3200. that's another thing...do i really need the 3200? is there that much of a difference between 3200 and 2700? (besides price)

help me! i don't know what to do!

-daga

What the hell do u need a 160 gig Hd for? Get a smaller one and improve your CPU instead. Also, can the high speed CDRW and get a cheapie. Regarding ram.....If your not gonna overclock then I would get the cheapest crap u can that has a lifetime warantee.

I dunno why ur getting a Nforce 2 MB with a puny Xp 1700. Might as well get a cheap KT 400 and a faster CPU that way u can get 1 cheap 512 ram module.

somebody didn't read the whole thread *tsk tsk*

*i switched to a WD 80GB hdd (8MB cache)
*i switched to an Athlon 2100+

the lowest speed CD-RWs i've seen are 48x24x48 or something like that (which isn't much of a price difference from the 52x, maybe $10), and i AM going to overclock, hence the fact that i'm posting in the forum from OVERCLOCKERS.com :p

NOTE: when reading a thread about a system that someone's going to be building, it's useful to read the last posts first...that way you can get the most up to date configuration :D

-daga

Back