• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

21"+ Monitor...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wimbo

lo all, had a 19" monitor for a few years now, feel like a change to a larger one, any of you guys got 21"+ monitors or just know of good recomendations ? i'm quite a heavy gamer and like my high resolutions, current gfx card = radeon 9700 pro, so any reccomendations ?

cheers :)

Wimbo

Hey Wimbo!

I bought a 21" last fall and had the same questions.

Something I did, and strongly recommend for you, is seeing the monitors you might be interested in with your eyes before you buy. Monitor specs are notoriously misleading and don't begin to address a lot of the issues that will determine if you love or hate your monitor. Given what you will spend for a quality 21", it is well worth your time to do an eye test before you buy.

I had the NEC FE1250+, Sony G520, Viewsonic P225F and Mitsubishi 2060U on my list. It took a few weeks to track them all down, but in the end I picked the Viewsonic. The Sony had the worst picture quality of these four. The color was good but the text quality was notably fuzzy. It wasn't a horrible picture but the Sony had the second highest price and the picture quality I saw didn't come close to justifying that kind of money. The NEC had better text than the Sony but the color wasn't as good as the Viewsonic and Mitsu. It was the lowest priced of my four, and if my budget only went to $500 this would have been the clear winner.

The performance of the Viewsonic and Mitsu was very close. The Mitsu was a little better in text and color quality, but I didn't think it was significantly better to justify its $200 higher price. I've been using the P225F for almost four months and I already think its the smartest investment I've ever made in my computer system.

Hope this helped.

BHD

yo BaldHeadedDork, thanks for that, really gonna help :) think i will have a little look round till i make sure it's defiantly what i want, and Ben721, ta for that link, makes me feel like giving you my 19" :(

I have the Samsung 1200NF. I bought it about 2 years ago so there might be either a newer version or it might be a bit cheaper.

I picked it because it had the most features for the price. 4 port USB Hub, 5-BNC input, 2048x1536 resolution. I love it so far and think it's great. The only gripe I have is that the outer screen is perfectly flat, but it seems like the screen behind the glass is very slightly curved. You can only notice it if you really look close though.

The only monitor to be completly flat inside and out, is the LG flatron. All other monitors are slightly curved on the inner screen. Flat trinitron tube are vertically flat but slightly curved on the inside. If it wasn't for bad geometry, I might not of replace my 19" flatron. I have a 21" dell FD trinitron monitor. I got it refurbed from dell. Only cost me $230 including tax and free shipping. Just keep in mind that smaller monitors look better then their 21" counter parts.

Look over in Cyber Deals...21" Dell for 169.00 plus 45.00 shipping...The first link has them at 199.00 but if you scroll down you will see the link for him at ebay...Overclocker members bought 3 of the 5...Not bad for a Trinitron tubed 24.dot pitch aperature grill even if it is referbed...Supposedly Grade A, prestine condition...Check it out!!!

I am currently running dual sony 21s on my system in sig. one model E540 and the other is E500. I think the older 500 model actually has a better picture. both monitors have a max refresh of 72 hertz at 1600x1200 which is what I run them at. My eyes haven't bothered me yet, even at 60 hertz. I guess it depends on the person's preference. Got em for 200 a piece so I can't really complain. :D

I think most of them are lease back. So they can vary in condition. Mine was new condition. Alsmosted looked unused. Most are only a couple years old.

i picked up a sony G520 off of craig's list for $99 so complaints about pricing from me. I don't really notice any fuzzy text but then again i don't have any of the other mentioned monitors to compare it against. The color is excellent, refresh rate is excellent, and so is the geometry. Best of all its completely flat and is comfortable on the eyes

kaltag said:
both monitors have a max refresh of 72 hertz at 1600x1200 which is what I run them at. My eyes haven't bothered me yet, even at 60 hertz.

One reason I picked up my monitor was also because of the refresh rates. my 1200NF maxes out at 85hz @ 1600x1200 I think this is a plus if you play a lot of games and have v-sync disabled.

Originally posted by hduong
The only monitor to be completly flat inside and out, is the LG flatron

I didn't know that, I don't feel cheated by Samsung now ;p

Viewsonic P225F is a GREAT monitor, I love it. Bought it for only $650, its fricken amazing

Back