• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quegyboe

Hey all, I just wanted to know a couple of things regarding a possible motherboard trade. A friend of mine has a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ motherboard, based on the KT266A chipset. He has proposed a trade straight across for my GA-7VA motherboard. This board I have has no multiplyer adjustment and his does, via BIOS. My questions are....

1) Would the KT266A chipset, with the newest BIOS, recognise the unlocked multi's of the Tbred B?

2) Would the KT266A chipset OC decently well?

I'm considering trading motherboards, mainly because of multi support (if it would work with my Tbred B) and because the KT400 just plain SUCKS! Do you guys think this would be a fair trade? Would you all do it?

Not a trade i would go for. Built my Spouses comp bassed on that mobo. Haven't got a chance to OC it much, but running everything stock its a snappy board. Wait i did OC it for a bit when setting it up and instaling Windows XP. Had a 2100+ running at 2400+ speeds. I'd personaly keep the KT400 chipset. think of all you will be downgrading to. No more 8x AGP, pc3200 support and so forth.

I don't think the PC3200 support is a big deal. I just bought PC3200 memory to make sure when I OC, my ram isn't limiting me. I don't think the KT266a mobo has to have anything done to it for PC3200 ram to run properly. AGP 8x also doesn't matter to me. All I know is this KT400 chipset sucks for memory performance. There is absolutely no performance difference between cas 2 and cas 3. The main thing I want is multiplyer support, so I can play around with FSB / multi options. Anymore input?

Nevermind everyone. I just realized how stupid of an idea this was. In order to get the OC I already have now on this mobo, I would have to get to 160 FSB x 12.5, which I don't think would be very easy to reach on a Gigabyte mobo, since they aren't know for OC'ing very high. Also, there would be no point anyways, because then I wouldn't be able to go any higher than I'm at now anyways, so forget it. LOL! :rolleyes:

Back