• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If You Run Ad-Aware, Look Here, Part 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
Rember: Keep This Puppy Updated!

Ad-Aware-2.jpg

ad ware doesn't seem to work for me. i keep it updated regularly and i still get those damn msn pop ups. one time i just finished scanning and after i clicked close a pop up popped up. great software eh?

messenger popups are NOT to do with the software you have on your computer... open up command and type in net send localhost message.....

and here is how you turn it off
go into start > contol panel > administative tools > services and disable "messenger" also, right click it, into properties, and disable automatic start up... make it disabled... that should take care of them... muahahaha

Cool info. If you turn off messenger in admin tools, will messenger be gone after that, or just the popups? (communication channel for popups)

that service, messenger has nothing to do with msn messenger if that's what you're asking....

and yes, once you disable messenger, you will no longer receive messenger "popups" - they're not really popups... it should be better described as broadcast messages :)

Before I scanned, I cleared my cookies/internet history/offline content (all from the I.E option panel), still found 38 files found- but half were in other user profiles.

Nothing amazingly nasty, all "data miners"- they won't find any gold in MY machine (motherboard traces don't count).

I recommend spybot as well. Both detect a few things the other doesn't. It's a lil more aggressive so look carefully before pressing the "fix" button.

like i said, disabling messenger service has nothing to do with msn messenger... i use msn messenger also, and i have the messenger service disabled

Hey Fil, know of any REALLY good popup eliminators? I use popup stopper and .... well.... anyway, any Ideas?

funny that you ask me....

popupcop from www.popupcop.com get your 30 day free trial :) - it is AWESOME in my opinion... - definitely worth the $19.95

although the trial version has a kinda-annoying thing, where it'll show up the "please register banner" once every few days... but yah - i love it

Is anyone else really annoyed that you have to click each
cookie in Ad-Aware 6 to get rid of it? What ever happened
to auto-selecting all at once, automatically?

Back