• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to PROPERLY take care of your Laptop's Li-ion Batteries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

I came across this article and found it very informative. Most of you know that most laptops and cell phones are powered by Li-ion batteries. They are touted as the best type of battery with little of the downsides associated with Ni-Cd or Ni-Metal-Hydride batteries. They are also the most expensive.

Now I find myself looking for a replacement battery for one of my two notebooks, I found I was doing some things that probably shortened the original battery's life--like letting it sit in a hot car.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030314081843218

This link is actually a MAC site (they use Li-ion batteries too, ya know), but it takes the pertinent excerpts from this article (which is from the above link):

http://www.buchmann.ca/

hmm this is a little off topic yet not at the same time. I got an e-wear digital camera/camcorder and it runs off of Li-Ion batteries. What i want to know is it safe to recharge it even when the battery is close to being empty? Or will it shorten its life? Edit because i know some rechargeable batteries if you recharge and say only used half of the battery it makes the battery not live as long.

Sure, it would be safe. The problem with Li-Ion batteries is that they have circuitry that may fail if the battery is completely discharged. That doesn't mean the battery cannot be recharged, but the circuitry won't allow it to get the charge. Usually, the circuitry will not allow the battery to discharge completely to keep itself 'alive.'

Li-ion batteries do NOT have a 'memory' like Ni-Cd or Ni-Metal-Hydride batteries do.

So im safe to recharge it at anytime with out shortening the batteries life? Just double checking hehe cuz I dont want to screw the battery.

Back