• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hell-spawn

just wondering is it realy worth water cooling? ive been looking at reviews and im not seeing any really good results most water cooling kits are eeping 1800 palis at 40c full load my overclocked 1800 gets 48 full load on air and its not very load at all.i feel that if i wanna spend a huge amount of money on water cooling i wanna have atleast 30c full load is there any good setups like that around? is it realy worth me buying water cooling? i would like a silent machine but there isnt much chance of cause water cooling still use's 80-120mm fan and if its gonna do a decent job tll be high RPM. so ppl whats your thoughts. lookat my system below and tell me is it worth it and where can i find a decent water cooling system?
thanks

I personally consider water cooling to be well worth it. Aside from being fairly quiet, it also offers a fairly stable temperature even under high/overclocked loads. Also, due to the larger size of the fans on an water-cooled system, less RPMs are needed to push air and hence less noise is created. As of yet, I haven't heard of a WC'd rig that can put 30C on load with an overclocked CPU (minus pelt assisted cooling). I'm sure it exists, but I'm pretty sure that such a rig was not made from a pre-made kit.

Hope some of this stuff helps.

Do a search on Tec's or Peltiers or browse through the extreme cooling section, its a little ceramic type plate that fits inbetween the water block and cpu, fill it full of volts one side gets real cold and one side gets hot thats the short short explenation, heres a link if ya wanna see http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pelts/peltiers.asp

Hell yeah....

Just completed my first WC setup. It took awhile (4 weeks) but the satisfaction has been immense.

System:
XP 2100 @ 2.5 Ghz
M/B: NF7-S

Temps:
25C ambient:
- CPU: 32C idle, 38C load.

I'm lovin it...... near silence as well :)

Pic 1

Pic 2

and they look pretty cool with dyes and whatnot...remember about the compliments(or insults) you will get :)

pelts are thermoelectric coolers. check out the extreme cooling section for information on them. Water cooling is worth it for me, because it allows me to overclock about 150-200 MHz higher, run higher VCore, and still stay cooler than my AX-7 did. AND, it's very quiet. :)

hell-spawn you need to check your math:
"athlon XP 1800+ (TBred) @ 2283mhz, 1.90 volts 190x11.5"

190x11.5=2185 hehe!

peace.
unloaded

Watercooling is well worth it, I would advise you to purchase your own components separately though.
I have spent a long time finally assembling my system and the results are spectacular.

I have achieved 38C Full Load, with a 2100+ @ 3200+ with 1.85V.
It even kept my temperature below 31C Full Load with the 2100+ at stock settings.

The bigger question you need to ask yourself is, what do you want out of your Watercooling system? Then make your choices from there.

M_N

What I am wondering is if you screw up in the installation and the water leaks or something will that screw up everything and make you have to buy a new processor or are the components water proof?

It depends. If the comp is off and distilled water is spit, then there is no harm done. Just wipe it off. However, if it's on then...well, distilled water only remains electrically neutral for a few seconds (one of the massive errors I made on my first rig was presuming that distilled water was neutral inspite of current). Using tap water will garuantee a short circut regardless of whether the current is on or not.

Just be sure to do a complete leak test before installing the components.

what i do is leak test the system out of the case for atleast 24 hours. then i put every in the case, mb cpu everything, and then run just the cooling setup for another 24 hours at least. before i power up the system, this way i never have had any issues with leaking.

If you tried to justify it to a business, you'd have a hard time (except supercomputers). The reason is that HSFs are perfectly fine for most purposes (browse the General Cooling section once in a while ;)) and watercooling is a lot of effort for a not a lot of gain.

The reason i watercool is that i want to - just like any other hobby that doesn't make sense to other people, there are ways to immerse yourself in this. Just remember - its a hobby, and one you can get out of if you want.

Enjoy.

lol. some of these post's crack me up. first thing unloaded thanks for bringing that to my attention. i just double checked everything and my multi is at 12. i was thinking i still had my multi standard lus i change my settings all the time looking for a better combo. im starting to think i may look into a water cooling setup cause i want a quiet PC. it realy annoyes me trying to sleep with a 747 humming my room. (well its not all that loud but still) i would like to build a setup from my own selected parts but i dont have the time to shop round for that. especially now i just started doing some unofficial ram testing for a local company here in oz. does anyone have any recomendations for a prebuilt setup that is good value for money?

Back